Star Trek and history / edited by Nancy R. Reagin
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxv, 358 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Reagin, Nancy Ruth, 1960-
- A timeline of stardates / Alan Kistler -- Introduction : time warps and future histories / Nancy R. Reagin -- Part one Characters [are] welcome : backstories -- Riding posse on the final frontier : James T. Kirk, hero of the Old West / Alice L. George -- More than "just Uhura" : understaning Star Trek's Lt. Uhura, civil rights, and space history / Margaret A. Weitekamp -- The compassionate country doctor and cold-blooded biomedicine : Bones, Spock, and medicine beyond the machine / Brenda Gardenour -- Who is Q? / Alan Kistler -- Part two Kirk and Spock take on earth history -- The final reflection? : a mirrored empire? : Klingon history and American history / Lori Maguire -- Vietnam, Star Trek, and the real future / H. Bruce Franklin -- You're doing it wrong : cause and effect in Star Trek's histories / Michael Lewis -- If this is the (final) frontier, where are the natives? / Amy H. Sturgis -- Terrorizing space : Star Trek, terrorism, and history / John Putman -- To boldly go when no one has gone before (or after) : Star Trek's timelines / Karma Waltonen -- Part three Future culture -- Shakespeare (and the rest of the great books) in the original Klingon / Elizabeth Baird Hardy -- Information technology in Star Trek : android versus android, iPads versus PADDs, Facebook versus the Borg / Brent McDonald -- History on the holodeck / Marcus Schulzke -- Why Star Trek's cartography is so stellar, or how the Borg mapped/changed everything / Matthew D. Mingus -- Who's the devil? Species extinction and environmentalist thought in Star Trek / Dolly Jørgensen -- Part four Other races have histories too, you know -- Nothing unreal exists : the contradictory logic of Vulcan history / Alex Robles -- Alien babes and alternate universes : the women of Star Trek / M.G. DuPree -- Klingons : going medieval on you / Christian Domenig -- Nazis, Cardassians, and other villains in the final frontier / Amy Carney -- Negotiating the legacy of Star Trek and its fans / Rick Worland.
- A guide to the history that informs the world of Star Trek-just in time for the next JJ Abrams Star Trek movie For a series set in our future, Star Trek revisits the past constantly. Kirk and Spock battle Nazis, Roman gladiators, and witness the Great Depression. When they're not doubling back on their own earlier timelines, the crew uses the holodeck to spend time in the American Old West or Victorian England. Alien races have their own complex and fascinating histories, too. The Star Trek universe is a sci-fi imagining of a future world that is rooted.
- 9781118167632 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
1118167635 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- "This book has not been approved, licensed, or sponsered by any entity or person involved in creating the Star Trek TV series, films, or books"--Cover.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 10012623