James Weldon Johnson's modern soundscapes / Noelle Morrissette
- Morrissette, Noelle
- Iowa City : University of Iowa Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 243 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Introduction: The Ragtime Reinventions of James Weldon (William) Johnson -- Biography of the Race: Musical Comedy and the Modern Soundscape of the Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man -- Cultures of Talk: Diplomacy, Nation, and Race in the Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man -- The Interpolated Body: Passing, Same-sex Talk, and Discursive Formations in the Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man -- Cosmopolitan Travels: Diplomacy, Translation, and Performance in the Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man (Der Weisse Neger, 1928) and God's Trombones -- Framing Black Expressive Culture: Prefaces to the Book of American Negro Poetry, the Book of American Negro Spirituals, and God's Trombones -- "The Creation": God's Trombones and Johnson's Formation of a Black Modernist Poetics -- From Noun to Verb: Black Phonographic Voice in Black Manhattan -- Not the Story of My Life: Along This Way -- Afterword: Remembering James Weldon Johnson.
- 9781609381585 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
1609381580 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 207-235) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 10017058