A death at Crooked Creek : the case of the cowboy, the cigarmaker, and the love letter / Marianne Wesson
- Wesson, Marianne
- New York : New York University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 379 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Important characters in the story of the Hillmon case -- Timeline of events important to the Hillmon litigation -- A winter journey leads to an inquest : 1879 -- The parties ready their cases for trial : 1879-1882 -- The Hillmon case is tried before a jury : 1882 -- The case is tried twice more, and a surprising objection is made : 1884-1888 -- The Supreme Court hears a case of "graveyard insurance" : 1892 -- John Hillmon is reported to be alive as the arduous fourth trial proceeds : 1893-95 -- The fifth trial progresses briskly but ends inconclusively, and New York Life capitulates : 1896-1899 -- The Hillmon case is tried for the last time : 1899 -- The century turns, and the Hillmon case is concluded : 1900-1903.
- 9780814784563 (cloth : alk. paper) and 0814784569 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 337-359) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 10021356