Quantum computing since Democritus [electronic resource] / Scott Aaronson
- Aaronson, Scott
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxx, 370 pages) : illustrations
- Preface; A Critical Review of Scott Aaronson's quantum computing since democritus; Now for the actual preface; What's new; Acknowledgments; 1 Atoms and the void; 2 Sets; Rules of first-order logic; Peano axioms for the nonnegative integers; Axioms of set theory; 3 Gödel, Turing, and friends; Turing machines; Bonus addendum; Exercise; Further reading; 4 Minds and machines; Puzzles; Answers to exercise from last chapter; 5 Paleocomplexity; Further reading; Puzzle 1 from last chapter; Puzzle 2 from last chapter; 6 P, NP, and friends; Petting zoo; Problem set; 7 Randomness; Puzzles.
- Takes students and researchers on a tour through some of the deepest ideas of maths, computer science and physics.
- 9781107308299 (electronic bk.)
9781107313842 (electronic bk.)
1107313848 (electronic bk.)
9780511979309 (electronic bk.)
0511979304 (electronic bk.)
- "Written by noted quantum computing theorist Scott Aaronson, this book takes readers on a tour through some of the deepest ideas of maths, computer science and physics. Full of insights, arguments and philosophical perspectives, the book covers an amazing array of topics. Beginning in antiquity with Democritus, it progresses through logic and set theory, computability and complexity theory, quantum computing, cryptography, the information content of quantum states and the interpretation of quantum mechanics. There are also extended discussions about time travel, Newcomb's Paradox, the anthropic principle and the views of Roger Penrose. Aaronson's informal style makes this fascinating book accessible to readers with scientific backgrounds, as well as students and researchers working in physics, computer science, mathematics and philosophy"-- Provided by publisher.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Perth, W.A. Available via World Wide Web.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 10021500