Permissible Securities Activities of Commercial Banks Under the Glass-Steagall Act (GSA) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) [electronic resource].
- Corporate Author:
- Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service
- [Place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 58 pages : digital, PDF file
- Assesses extent to which commercial banks, their subsidiaries, and affiliates were able to engage in securities activities, such as securities underwriting, dealing, and brokerage, under the authorities of the Glass-Steagall Act and other pre-Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) banking laws, most notably the Bank Holding Company Act (BHCA) of 1956. Examines how volume and scope of these securities activities expanded over time, especially in the 1980s and 1990s; and explains how GLBA changed Glass-Steagall Act construct by facilitating affiliations among commercial banks and securities firms, which paved the way for full-service financial companies like CitiGroup to offer deposit taking and full-scale securities dealing, securities underwriting, investment advising, and brokerage activities within a single holding company structure. Examines historical differences between regulatory structure of commercial and investment banks, provides a legal overview of Glass-Steagall Act restrictions on securities activities and evolution of how Federal agencies regulating commercial banks interpreted those restrictions over the course of approximately seven decades prior to enactment of GLBA, analyzes how GLBA modified Glass-Steagall Act and BHCA securities restrictions and resulting effect on structure and activities of commercial banking companies.
- Related Titles:
- ProQuest U.S. Congressional Research Digital Collection
- Record is based on bibliographic data in ProQuest U.S. Congressional Research Digital Collection (last viewed Sept. 2012). Reuse except for individual research requires license from ProQuest, LLC.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: PDF reader software.
View MARC record | catkey: 10127766