Literature and life : studies / by W.D. Howells
- Howells, William Dean, 1837-1920
- New York ; London : Harper & brothers, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 3 plates, v-xi, 1 unnumbered page, 322 pages, 1 unnumbered page : frontispiece, plates, portraits ; 22 cm.
- The man of letters as a man of business.--Worries of a winter talk.--Confessions of a summer colonist.--The editor's relations with the young contributor.-Summer isles of Eden.--Wild flowers of the asphalt.--Last days in in Dutch hotel.--Some anomalies of the short story.-A circus in the suburbs.--A she Hamlet.--Spanish prisoners of war.--The midnight platoon.--The beach at Rockaway.--American literary centres.--Sawdust in the arena.--At a dime museum.--American literature in exile.--The horse show.--The problem of the summer.--Aesthetic New York fifty-odd years ago.--From New York into New England.--The standard household-effect company.--Staccato notes of a vanished summer.--The art of the adsmith.--The psychology of plagiarism.--Puritanism in American fiction.--The what and the how of it.--Politics of American authors.--Storage.--"Floating down the river on the O-hi-o".
- Reproduction Note:
- Microform. Chicago, Library Resources, 1972. 1 microfiche ; 8 x 13 cm. Reduction ratio varies. (Library of American civilization).
View MARC record | catkey: 1028361