The orchestrion project [sound recording] / Pat Metheny
- Metheny, Pat
- New York, NY : Nonesuch, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 2 audio discs (106 min.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- disc 1. Improvisation no. 1 (5:00) ; Antonia (6:31) ; Entry point (10:46) ; Expansion (8;50) ; Improvisation no. 2 (10:13) ; 80/81 Broadway blues (4:27) ; Orchestrion (16:02) -- disc 2. Soul search (10:04) ; Spirit of the air (8:51) ; Stranger in town (5:44) ; Sueño con Mexico (8:58) ; Tell her you saw me (5:21) ; Unity village (7:38).
- The Orchestrion itself is an assemblage of computer-operated instruments, all controlled by Pat Metheny's guitar. The full instrumental array includes several pianos, drum kits, marimbas and dozens of percussion instruments and even cabinets of carefully tuned bottles.
"...Fusions of Brazilian music, rock, jazz and minimalism."--BBC Music.
"...A dense sonic tapestry comprising kaleidoscopic tone colours."--Mojo.
- Jazz music, with computer operated instruments, controlled by Pat Metheny's guitar; soundtrack to the film The orchestrion project.
Program notes by Pat Metheny and Robert Hurwitz in container.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Produced by Pat Metheny ; music composed and arranged by Pat Metheny, except Broadway blues composed by Ornette Coleman.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Performed by Pat Metheny, guitar and orchestrionics (piano, marimba, vibraphone, orchestra bells, basses, guitarbots, percussion, cymbals and drums, blown bottles, and other custom fabricated acoustic mechanical instruments), robotic Angeli guitar.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Henry Levine Memorial Libraries Endowment; 2013
View MARC record | catkey: 10298573