Field guide to illumination [electronic resource] / Angelo Arecchi, R. John Koshel, Tahar Messadi
- Arecchi, Angelo V.
- Bellingham, Wash. (1000 20th St. Bellingham WA 98225-6705 USA) : SPIE, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 137 pages : illustrations (some color), ports.) : digital file
- Additional Creators:
- Koshel, R. John, Messadi, Tahar, and Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers
- Restrictions on Access:
- Restricted to subscribers or individual electronic text purchasers.
- Glossary -- Basic quantities in illumination. Flux, irradiance; Solid angle; Intensity, radiance, projected solid angle; Solid angle and projected solid angle; Spectroradiometric and radiometric quantities; Photometric quantities; Matrix of basic quantities; Photopic and scotopic vision; Luminous efficacy; Typical values of illumination quantities; Averaged LED intensity -- Color. Light source color; Chromaticity diagram; Color temperature and CCT; Dominant wavelength and purity; Surface color; Color of fluorescent surfaces; Color rendering and CRI; Calculating CRI; problems with CRI -- Sources for illumination. Typical source parameters; Tungsten lamps; Tungsten/sunlight; Fluorescent lamps; H.P Sodium / metal halide; Xenon/white LED; LEDs -- Illumination properties of materials. Transmittance, reflectance, absorptance; Reflectance factor and BRDF; Harvey / ABg scatter model; Directional properties of materials; Retroreflectors: geometry; Retroreflectors: radiometry -- Illumination transfer. Lambertian and isotropic models; Known intensity; Known flux, known radiance; Average projected solid angle, form factor; Configuration factor; Useful configuration factor; Useful form factor; Irradiance from a uniform Lambertian disk; Cosine fourth and increase factor; Known irradiance; [omega], [omega uppercase], NA, and f/# for a circular cone; Invariance of radiance., Illumination in imaging systems. Image radiance; Limitations on equivalent radiance; Image irradiance; f/#, working f/#, T/#, NA, [omega]; Flux and étendue -- Illumination in nonimaging systems -- Generalized étendue. Concentration; Skew invariant -- Fibers, lightpipes, and lightguides. Fibers: basic description; NA and étendue; Fiber bundles; Tapered fibers and tapered bundles -- Classical illumination designs. Spherical reflector; Abbe illumination; Köhler illumination; Ellipsoidal and paraboloidal mirrors; Spectral control and heat management; Illumination in visual afocal systems -- Uniform illumination. Searchlight; Source at a distance; Mixing rod; Bent lightpipes; Integrating sphere; Lenslet arrays; Small reflectors, lenslet arrays, and facets -- Source models. Source modeling overview; Source modeling methods; LED modeling; Incandescent lamp modeling; Arc and fluorescent lamp modeling -- Nonimaging compound concentrators. Nonimaging compound concentrators; Concentrators as luminaires; Compound parabolic concentrator; CEC and CHC; Tailored-edge-ray design; Faceted reflector design; Advanced nonimaging optic design -- Displays. Displays¿overview; Backlit display components; Backlit display: source and injector; Backlit display: lightguide, features, reflector; Backlit display: polarizers, LC, and BEF; Projection displays., and Characterizing illumination systems. Mapping flat-fielding sources; Goniophotometers; Types A, B, C goniometer coordinate systems; "Snapshot" goniophotometers -- Software modeling. Software modeling discussion -- Architectural illumination. Role of light in architecture -- Light and visual performance. Eye adaptation and visual fields; Apparent brightness -- Lighting design. Layering of light -- Luminaire for open plan office. Photometric report and VCP; Spacing criteria and coefficient of utilization -- Daylight compensation. Daylight factor; Daylight strategies -- Exterior lighting. Nighttime visibility criteria; Recommended illuminance for facades; Facade floodlighting for uniform illumination; Outdoor areas illumination; Special considerations for outdoor fixtures -- Parking. Outdoor luminaire transverse distribution; Outdoor luminaire lateral distribution -- Roadway lighting. Criteria for roadway lighting; Small target visibility; Recommended roadway luminaires; Recommended lamps for roadway luminaires -- Appendix. Equation summary; CIE Illuminants A and D65; Archaic and arcane units of illumination -- Bibliography.
- The content in this Field Guide starts with traditional illumination in imaging systems, followed by the recent advances in computer-aided design of high efficiency nonimaging illumination optics, along with the modern source models that support these techniques. Sections on the illumination of visual displays are included as well as some important topics on architectural illumination.
- 9780819481221 (electronic)
- "SPIE digital library."
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (127-132) and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print version.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
View MARC record | catkey: 10728677