Alien vision [electronic resource] : exploring the electromagnetic spectrum with imaging technology / Austin Richards
- Richards, Austin
- Bellingham, Wash. (1000 20th St. Bellingham WA 98225-6705 USA) : SPIE, 2011.
- 2nd ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xix, 160 pages) : illustrations, digital file
- Additional Creators:
- Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers
- Restrictions on Access:
- Restricted to subscribers or individual electronic text purchasers.
- 1. Infrared and ultraviolet : the edges of the rainbow -- 2. Thermal imaging : we all glow in the dark -- 3. Microwave and millimeter-wave imaging : piercing the veil -- 4. X rays and gamma rays : Crookes tubes and nuclear light -- 5. Acoustic imaging : seeing with sound -- 6. Sweeping through the spectrum : comparative imagery -- Epilogue -- Glossary -- Bibliography and Internet resources.
- Austin Richards takes readers on a visual tour of the electromagnetic spectrum beyond the range of human sight, using imaging technology as the means to 'see' invisible light. Dozens of colorful images and clear, concise descriptions make this an intriguing, accessible technical book. Richards explains the light spectrum, including visible light, and describes the advanced imaging technologies that enable humans to synthesize our own version of 'alien' vision at different wavelengths, with applications ranging from fire fighting and law enforcement to botany and medicine.The second edition expands existing content, explores recent areas of research, and provides new illustrations that demonstrate the variability of vision throughout the spectrum.
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780819485366 (electronic)
- Related Titles:
- SPIE digital library
- "SPIE Digital Library."--Website.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in print version.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
View MARC record | catkey: 10728736