The value of academic libraries : a comprehensive research review and report / prepared by Megan Oakleaf for the Association of College and Research Libraries
- Oakleaf, Megan J.
- Chicago, IL : Association of College and Research Libraries, American Library Association, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 182 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Association of College and Research Libraries
American Library Association
- Foreword -- Executive summary -- Defining "value" -- Methodology -- Review and analysis of the literature -- Academic library -- Expectations of higher education -- Reconceptualizing academic libraries -- Achieving institutional missions and outcomes -- Assessment vs. research -- Student retention and graduation rates -- Student engagement -- Student learning -- Assessment of management systems -- Faculty teaching -- Faculty research -- Library valuation -- Reference services -- E-resources -- Institutional ranking -- What about accreditation? -- Societal contribution -- A reminder regarding scope -- What's next for academic library value studies? -- School libraries -- Working with teachers and principals -- Evidence-based practice and action research -- Assessment tools -- Large-scale studies -- Assessment management systems -- Reporting results -- What's next for school library value studies? -- Public libraries -- Economic value -- Economic benefit -- Economic activity -- Economic impact -- Social impact -- What's next for special library value studies? -- What to do next -- Get started -- Define outcomes -- Use assessment management systems -- Gather new data -- Use existing data -- Engage in higher education assessment external to libraries -- Create library assessment plans -- Mobilize library administrators -- Engage in professional library associations -- Research agenda -- Student enrollment -- Student retention -- Student success -- Student achievement -- Student learning -- Student experience, attitude, and perception of quality -- Faculty research productivity -- Faculty grants -- Faculty teaching -- Institutional reputation or prestige -- Conclusion.
- This report provides Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) leaders and the academic community with a clear view of the current state of the literature on value of libraries within an institutional context, suggestions for immediate "Next Steps" in the demonstration of academic library value, and a "Research Agenda" for articulating academic library value. Its focus is to help librarians understand, based on professional literature, the current answer to the question, "How does the library advance the missions of the institution?" This report is also of interest to higher educational professionals external to libraries, including senior leaders, administrators, faculty, and student affairs professionals.
- 0838985688 (pbk.)
- "September 2010"--P. 2.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 141-176).
- Other Forms:
- Also available online in PDF format from the American Library Association web site. Adobe Acrobat Reader required.
- Reproduction Note:
- Printout. [Seattle, Wash. : University of Washington Law Library, 2010]. 172 p. ; 28 cm. Printed October 6, 2010 from a PDF file on the Association of College & Research Libraries.
View MARC record | catkey: 10766823