The brain and host defense [electronic resource] / volume editor, Barry G. Arnason
- Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 343 pages, 2 unnumbered pages of plates) : illustrations (some color)
- Additional Creators:
- Arnason, B. G. W. (Barry G. W.)
- Neuroimmune biology ; v. 9
- The hypothalamus is the central organ of immunoregulation / István Berczi and Barry G. Arnason -- Leech neuroimmune signaling / Aurelie Tasiemski and Michel Salzet -- Morphogenesis of the hypothalamus and hypophysis / Kosuke Kawamura -- A novel genus of specialized anti-inflammatory and pro-resolution lipid mediators / Gerard Bannenberg and Charles N. Serhan -- Neural and non-neural stem cells as novel therapeutic modalities for brain injury / Ronen R. Leker and Éva Mezey -- The role of the toll-like receptors in neuropathology / Catherine E. Downes and Peter J. Crack -- Cytokines and the immune-neuroendocrine network / Silvia G. Correa ... [et al.] -- Orexin-containing neurons and the immune system / Natalia S. Novikova and Helen A. Korneva -- Central pathways of immunoregulation / Kathryn M. Buller -- Brain responses to antigenic challenges / Helen A. Korneva and Natalia S. Novikova -- Role of the endocrine system / Christopher John -- Conditioning of immune reactions / Laura Y. Gorczynski amd Reginald M. Gorczynski -- Gender issues in host defense / Matthias W. Wichmann and Martin K. Angele -- Glial cells in brain defense mechanisms / Mami Noda -- Immunologic privilege and the brain / M. Kelly Nicholas and Rimas Lukas -- Immune aspects of the blood-brain barrier / Thomas E. Liggett and Roumen Balabanov -- Neuroprotective activities of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells / Ashley D. Reynolds ... [et al.] -- Fever as a host defense mechanism / Clark M. Blatteis -- Leukocytes as mediator of pain and analgesia / Dagmar Hackel ... [et al.] -- Tumor necrosis factor as neuroinflammatory mediator in Alzheimer's disease and stroke: molecular mechanisms and neuroinflammatory imaging / Ulrich L.M. Eisel ... [et al.] -- 21: Multiple sclerosis and depression : a neuroimmunological perspective / Barry G. Arnason -- Infection and sepsis / Valentin A. Pavlov. Luis Ulloa and Christine N. Metz -- Restoration of neuroimmune disturbances in rats by extra high frequency electromagnetic irradiation of the skin / Elena G. Rybakina, Vernon J. Rogers and Natalia S. Novikova.
- It is now well recognized that the brain, and especially the hypothalamus, plays an important role in the regulation of immune reactions and inflammation. This book aims to review our current state of knowledge of this important field. Key historical findings are presented and the reciprocal interactions between the brain and the immune system are examined. Particular emphasis is placed on inflammation, a critical host defense reaction which serves as an effector response for both the adaptive and innate immune systems Mechanisms implicated in brain defense, as well as in more general host defense, are discussed. The regulatory influences of the brain on inflammatory responses are included with particular reference to the role of the hypothalamus which is also the main director the hormonal regulation of immune/inflammatory. Gender related differences in immune responsiveness, circadian modulator of immune responses, and evidence that behavioural conditioning (e.g. reward) of immune responses is possible, are used as examples to reinforce the notion that the neuroendocrine system exerts a fundamental and complex regulatory influence on the immune system. * Presents timely issues such as immunological aspects of the blood-brain-barrier and the role of inflammatory mediators in the evolution of strokes and degenerative diseases * Includes analysis of the role of the brain in the adaptive responses to disease * Evaluates the argument that further knowledge of the influence of the brain on the immune system will provide new insights to the pathophysiology infectious and autoimmune diseases.
- 9780444535450 (electronic bk.)
0444535454 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 10768002