Communication technology update and fundamentals [electronic resource].
- Amsterdam ; Boston : Focal Press/Elsevier, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (viii, 344 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Grant, August E., 1956- and Meadows, Jennifer Harman
- Section I Introduction: Umbrella Perspective on Communication Technologies; Historical Perspectives on Communication Technology; Understanding Communication Technologies; The Structure of Communication Industries; Regulation and Communication Technologies. Section II Electronic Mass Media: Digital Television; Multichannel Television Services; IPTV; Interactive Television; Radio Broadcasting; Digital Signage. Section III Computers & Consumer Electronics: Personal Computers; Video Games; Virtual & Augmented Reality; Home Video; Digital Audio; Digital Photography; Cinema Technologies. Section IV Networking Technologies: Telephony; the Internet & the World Wide Web; Social Networks and UGC; Broadband & Personal Networks (LANs, SANs, security, firewalls); Telepresence. Section V Conclusions.
- New communication technologies are being introduced at an astonishing rate. Making sense of these technologies is increasingly difficult. Communication Technology Update is the single best source for the latest developments, trends, and issues in communication technology. Now in its 12th edition, Communication Technology Update has become an indispensable information resource for business, government, and academia. As always, every chapter has been completely rewritten to reflect the latest developments and market statistics, and now covers digital signage, cinema technologies, social networking, and telepresence, in addition to the dozens of technologies explored in the previous edition. The book also features industry structure and regulation, history, and theory along with full coverage of the latest technologies! The book's companion website (http://commtechupdate.com) offers updated information submitted by chapter authors and offers links to other Internet resources. * Gives students and professionals THE latest information in all areas of communication technologies * The companion website offers updated information to this text, plus links to related industry resources * New focus on global technologies & and coverage of other emerging technologies, as well as fully updated statistics for all technologies.
- 9780240814766 (electronic bk.), 0240814762 (electronic bk.), 9780240814759, and 0240814754
- Previous ed.: 2008. and AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 10769128