Geological survey of Illinois / A. H. Worthen, director ...Published by the authority of the legislature of Illinois
- Corporate Author:
- Illinois. State Geologist
- [Springfield] : [State journal steam press, etc.], 1866-90.
- Physical Description:
- 8 volumes in 9 : frontispiece (volumes 1, 3-5) illustrations, plates, maps ; 27 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Worthen, Amos Henry, 1813-1888
Full Text available online
- I. (1866) Geology: Physical features, general principles and surface geology; Stratigraphical geology, tertiary deposits and coal measures; Sub-carboniferous limestone series; Devonian and Silurian systems; by A.H. Worthen. Geology of the lead region, by J.D. Whitney. Report on the coal fields of Illinois; On the origin and formation of the prairies, by Leo Lesquereux. Chemical report for the geological survey of Illinois, by J.V.Z. Blaney. Geology of Randolph, St. Clair, Madison and Hancock counties, by A.H. Worthen. Geology of Hardin county, by A.H. Worthen and Henry Engelmann. Geology of Johnson, Pulaski, Massac and Pope counties, by Henry Engelmann.--II. (1866) Palæontology: Descriptions of the new species of vertebrates, mainly from the sub-carboniferous limestones and coal measures, by J.S. Newberry and A.H. Worthen. Remarks on the occurrence of fossil fishes in Illinois, by A.H. Worthen. Supplement to descriptions of vertebrates, consisting of a description of a new genus and species of reptiles, from the coal measures, by E.D. Cope. Descriptions of invertebrates from the carboniferous system, by F.B. Meek and A.H. Worthen. Supplement to the descriptions of invertebrates, consisting of descriptions of Polyzoa from the Palæozoic rocks, by H.A. Prout. Report on the fossil plants of Illinois, by Leo Lesquereux.--III. (1868) Geology and palæeontology: Coal measures and lower carboniferous limestones; geology of Alexander, Union, Jackson, Perry, Jersey, Greene and Scott counties, by A.H. Worthen. Geology of Washington, Clinton, Marion and Jefferson counties, by Henry Engelmann. Geology of Cook county, by H.M. Bannister. Geology of La Salle county, by H.C. Freeman. Palæeontology of Illinois, by F.B. Meek and A.H. Worthen. Supplementary paper on the fossil insects of Illinois, by S.H. Scudder. Appendix: Chemical analyses by J.V.Z. Blaney.--IV. (1870) Geology and palæontology: Geology of Calhoun, Pike, Adams, Brown, Schuyler and Fulton counties, by A.H. Worthen. Geology of DeKalb, Kane, Du Page, McHenry, Lake, Kendall, Morgan, Menard, Tazewell, McLean, Logan and Mason counties, by H.M. Bannister. Geology of Grundy, Will, Kankakee, Iroquois, Vermilion, Champaign, Edgar and Ford counties, by F.H. Bradley. Geology of Henderson, Warren, Mercer, Knox, Stark and Woodford counties, by H.A. Green. Descriptions of vertebrates, by J.S. Newberry and A.H. Worthen. Descriptions of plants, by Leo Lesquereux.--V. (1873) Geology and palæontology: Geology of northwestern Illinois, by James Shaw. Geology of Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Carroll, Winnebago, Boone, Ogle, Lee, Whiteside, Bureau, Henry, Marshall and Putnam counties, by James Shaw. Geology of Rock Island county, by A.H Worthen and James Shaw. Geology of Peoria, McDonough, Monroe, Macoupin and Sangamon counties, by A.H. Worthen. Palæontology of Illinois, by F.B. Meek and A.H. Worthen. Fossils of the Burlington limestone. Fossils of the Keokuk group. Fossils of the St. Louis group. Fossils of the Chester group. Fossils of the coal measures.--VI. (1875) Geology and palæontology: Coal measures, by A.H. Worthen. Geology of Clark, Crawford, Lawrence, Richland, Wabash, Edwards, White, Hamilton, Wayne, Clay, Cumberland, Coles, Douglas, Williamson and Franklin counties, by A.H. Worthen. Geology of Bond, Fayette, Montgomery, Christian, Shelby, Effingham, Moultrie, Macon and Piatt counties, by G.C. Broadhead. Geology of Gallatin and Saline counties, by E.T. Cox. Geology of Livingston county, by H.C. Freeman. Descriptions of vertebrates, by Orestes St. John and A.H. Worthen. Descriptions of invertebrates, by A.H. Worthen and F.B. Meek.--VII. (1883) Geology and palæontology: Geology, by A.H. Worthen. Palæontology, by A.H. Worthen, Orestes St.John and S.A. Miller, with an addenda by Charles Wachsmuth and W.H. Barris.--VIII. (1890) Geology and palæontology, ed. by James Lindahl: [pt. 1] Drift deposits of Illinois; Economical geology (coal, natural gas and oil, artesian water); Description of f invertebrates; by A.H. Worthen. New species of crinoids and blastoids from the Kinderhook group of the lower carboniferous rocks at Le Grand, Iowa; A new genus from the Niagara group of western Tennessee; by Charles Wachsmuth and Frank Springer. American palæozoic sponges; Sponges of the Devonian and Carboniferous systems; by E.O. Ulrich. Description of lower Silurian sponges, by E.O. Ulrich and Oliver Everett. Palæozoic Bryozoa, by E.O. Ulrich. Appendix: The private life and scientific works of Prof. Amos Henry Worthen, by N.W. Bliss and C.A. White [including a bibliography of all known publications of Prof. Worthen] General index, by Josua Lindahl.--[pt. 2] Plates and explanations.
- Vol. 8 edited by James Lindahl, state geologist.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. New Haven, Conn., Research Publications, Inc., 1974. 3 microfilm reels ; 35 mm. (American natural history. Part II ; reel 5-7).
View MARC record | catkey: 1081873