The inheritor's powder : a tale of arsenic, murder, and the new forensic science / Sandra Hempel
- Hempel, Sandra
- New York, N.Y. : W.W. Norton & Company, 2013.
- First American edition.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 278 pages ; 25 cm
- The fell spirit of the Borgias -- The big square house in the village -- A great chain and dependency of things -- Death by toad or insect -- That good and pious man -- There's not much in dying -- A great degree of inquietude -- Corroborative proof as to the deleterious article -- Those low incompetent persons -- A very active constable -- The introduction of irritating matter -- I never saw two things in nature more alike -- She would not risk her soul into danger -- Oh my poor mother -- From the very brink of eternity -- The sequel of these proceedings -- What if the chymist should be mistaken? -- The freezing influence of official neglect -- I went with a lie in my mouth.
- Explores how an infamous murder case led to the birth of modern toxicology.
- 9780393239713 (hardcover)
- First published in London in 2013 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson with subtitle: A cautionary tale of poison, betrayal and greed.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 249-267) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 10957746