Mahanagar [videorecording] = The big city / Janus Films ; The RDB Organization ; produced by R. D. Bansal ; screenplay, music, and direction by Satyajit Ray
- Additional Titles:
- Big city
Container title: Satyajit Ray's The big city
- [Irvington, NY] : Criterion Collection, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 videodiscs (135 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (32 pages : illustrations ; 18 cm)
- Additional Creators:
- Bansal, R. D.
Ray, Satyajit, 1921-1992
Chatterjee, Anil, 1928-
Mukhopādhyāẏa, Mādhabī, 1943-
Mitra, Subrata, 1930-2001
Caṭṭopādhyāẏa, Saumitra, 1935-
Ganguly, Suranjan, 1958-
Garga, B. D. (Bhagwan Das), 1924-
Mitra, Narendranātha, 1916-1975
Robinson, Andrew, 1957-
RDB Organization (Firm)
Criterion Collection (Firm)
- Criterion collection ; 668
- Language Note:
- In Bengali, with optional subtitles in English.
- Disc 1. The big city -- Disc 2. The coward / Janus Films ; The RDB Organization ; R.D. Bansal presents ; screenplay, music, and direction by Satyajit Ray.
- Set in mid-1950s Calcutta and directed by Satyajit Ray, this story follows the personal triumphs and frustrations of Arati, who decides, despite the initial protests of her bank-clerk husband, to take a job to help support their family. With remarkable sensitivity and attention to the details of everyday working-class life, Ray gradually builds a powerful human drama that is at once a hopeful morality tale and a commentary on the identity of the contemporary Indian woman.
The Coward: An aspiring screenwriter encounters a former lover when his car breaks down near her home.
- Related Titles:
- Audience Notes:
- MPAA rating: Not rated.
- DVD release of the 1963 motion picture.
From a story by Narendranath Mitra.
Special features: Disc 1: Madhabi Mukherjee (new interview with the actor); Satyajit Ray and the modern woman (interview with Satyajit Ray scholar and author Suranjan Ganguly); B.D. Garga's Satyajit Ray (1974 documentary featuring narration by Satyajit Ray and on-set footage from the making of The big city). Disc 2: The coward (1965) (a feature film by Ray; starring Soumitra Chatterjee, Madhabi Mukherjee, Haradhan Bannerjee; based on a story by Premendra Mitra); About The coward. Booklet features an essay by scholar Chandak Sengoopta and an interview with Ray by his biographer Andrew Robinson.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Cinematography, Subrata Mitra ; production design by Bansi Chandragupta ; edited by Dulal Dutta.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Anil Chatterjee, Madhabi Mukherjee, Haradhan Bannerjee, Haren Chatterjee, Vicky Redwood, Jaya Bhuduri, Sefalika Devi, Prasenjit Sarkar.
- Technical Details:
- DVD ; region 1 ; NTSC ; full screen (1.33:1) presentation ; Dolby Digital mono.
- No public performance rights. Classroom instruction and home use permitted.
View MARC record | catkey: 10958322