Charulata [videorecording] / Janus Films ; the RDB Organization ; produced by R.D. Bansal ; screenplay, music, and direction by Satyajit Ray
- [New York, NY] : Criterion Collection, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (119 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (32 pages : illustrations ; 19 cm)
- Additional Creators:
- Bansal, R. D., Ray, Satyajit, 1921-1992, Caṭṭopādhyāẏa, Saumitra, 1935-, Mukhopādhyāẏa, Mādhabī, 1943-, Mukherjee, Sailen, Ghosal, Shyamal, Roy, Gitali, Sena, Subrata, 1963-, Ghosh, Bankim, Mitra, Subrata, 1930-2001, Chandragupta, Bansi, Dutta, Dulal, Rammohun Roy, Raja, 1772?-1833, Tagore, Rabindranath, 1861-1941, Tansen, -1589, Bawra, Baiju, 1542-1613, Tagore, Rabindranath, 1861-1941, Biśvāsa, Maināka, Chaudhuri, Supriya, Bachmann, Gideon, Kemp, Philip, Robinson, Andrew, 1957-, Janus Films, RDB Organization (Firm), and Criterion Collection (Firm)
- Language Note:
- In Bengali with subtitles in English.
- Set in late 19th-century, pre-independence India, this film is about a woman's artistic and romantic yearning. It is about the lonely wife of a workaholic newspaper editor, Charulata, whose beautiful face masks a burning creativity. When her husband's poet cousin comes to stay with them, Charulata finds herself both inspired by him creatively and dangerously drawn to him physically. A delicate tale of a marriage in jeopardy and a woman taking the first steps toward establishing her own voice.
- Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1964.
Based on Nastanirh = The broken nest / by Rabindranath Tagore.
Special features: Interviews with the actors (Madhabi Mukherjee and Soumitra Chatterjee); Adapting Tagore (a new interview program, film scholar Moinak Biswas and Bengali cultural historian Supriya Chaudhuri discuss Satyajit Ray's controversial adaptation); Satyajit Ray on progress (archival audio interview with director Satyajit Ray by film journalist Gideon Bachmann). Booklet features essay by critic Philip Kemp and an interview with Ray by his biographer Andrew Robinson.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Cinematography by Subrata Mitra ; production design by Bansi Chandragupta ; edited by Dulal Dutta ; songs, Raja Rammohan Roy, Rabindranath Tagore, Tansen, Baiju Bawra, Joydeb, Nidhubabu.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Soumitra Chatterjee, Madhabi Mukherjee, Shailen Mukherjee, Shyamal Ghosal, Gitali Roy, Subrata Sen, Bankim Ghosh.
- Technical Details:
- DVD; region 1; NTSC; Dolby Digital mono; 1.33:1 aspect ratio.
- No public performance rights. Classroom instruction and home use permitted.\
View MARC record | catkey: 10958327