- Mnemosyne supplements. Monographs on Greek and Latin language and literature ; 353
- Restrictions on Access:
- Available to subscribing member institutions only.
- Introduction / Vayos Liapis, George W.M. Harrison, and Costas Panayotakis -- Opsis, props, scene. The misunderstanding of 'opsis' in Aristotle's 'poetics' / G.M. Sifakis -- Propping up Greek tragedy: the right use of opsis / David Konstan -- Generalizing about props: Greek drama, comparator traditions, and the analysis of stage objects / Martin Revermann -- Actors' properties in ancient Greek drama: an overview / Rob Tordoff -- Skenographia in brief / Jocelyn Penny Small -- Greek tragedy. Aeschylean opsis / A.J. Podlecki -- Casting votes in Aeschylus / Geoffrey W. Bakewell -- Under Athena's gaze: Aeschylus' 'Eumenides' and the topography of opsis / Peter Meineck -- Heracles' costume from Euripides' 'Heracles' to pantomime performance / Rosie Wyles -- Weapons of friendship: props in Sophocles' 'Philoctetes' and 'Ajax' / Judith Fletcher -- 'Skene', altar and image Euripides' 'Iphigeneia among the Taurians' / Robert C. Ketterer -- Staging 'rhesus' / Vayos Liapis -- Greek comedy. Actors in old comedy, again / C.W. Marshall -- 'The Odeion on his head': costume and identity in Cratinus' Thracian women: Fr. 73 / Jeffrey S. Rusten -- Rehearsing Aristophanes / Graham Ley -- Rome and empire. Haven't I seen you before somewhere? optical allusions in Republican tragedy / Robert Cowan -- Anicius vortit barbare: the scenic games of l. Anicius Gallus and the aesthetics of Greek and Roman performance / George Fredric Franko -- Otium, opulentia and opsis: setting, performance and perception within the Mise-en-scene of the Roman house / Richard Beacham -- Towards a Roman theory of theatrical gesture / Dorota Dutsch -- Lucian's 'on dance' and the poetics of the pantomime mask / A.K. Petrides -- Pantomime: visualising myth in the Roman Empire / Edith Hall -- Integrating opsis : stringed instruments in fifth-century drama / George A. Kovacs -- Bloody (stage) business: Matthias Langhoff's Sparagmos of Euripides' 'Bacchae' / Gonda Van Steen -- From sculpture to vase-painting: archaeological models for the actor / Fiona Macintosh.
- Drawing on insights from various disciplines (philology, archaeology, art) as well as from performance and reception studies, this volume shows how a heightened awareness of performance can enhance our appreciation of Greek and Roman theatre.
9789004245457 (electronic book)
9789004245457 (electronic bk.)
9004245456 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 10958863