Mental disorders in the classical world / edited by W.V. Harris
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 512 pages ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Harris, William V. (William Vernon)
- Thinking about mental disorders in classical antiquity / W.V. Harris -- Current problems in the classification of mental illness -- 'Carving nature at the joints' : the dream of a perfect classification of mental illness / Bennett Simon -- If only the ancients had had DSM, all would have been crystal clear : reflections on diagnosis / Julian C. Hughes -- Greek classification -- The early greek medical vocabulary of insanity / Chiara Thumiger -- The typology and aetiology of madness in ancient greek medical and philosophical writing / Jacques Jouanna -- Galenic madness / Vivian Nutton -- What is a mental illness, and how can it be treated? Galen's reply as a doctor and philosopher / Véronique Boudon-Millot -- Disturbing connections : sympathetic affections, mental disorder, and the elusive soul in Galen / Brooke Holmes -- Plato on madness and the good life / Katja Maria Vogt -- Particular syndromes -- Mental disorder and the perils of definition : characterizing epilepsy in greek scientific discourse (5th-4th centuries BCE) / Roberto Lo Presti -- Medical epistemology and melancholy : Rufus of Ephesus and Miskawayh / Peter E. Pormann -- 'Quem nos furorem, melancholian illi vocant' : Cicero on melancholy / George Kazantzidis -- Fear of flute girls, fear of falling / Helen King -- Symptoms, cures and therapy -- Greek and roman hallucinations / W.V. Harris -- Cure and (in)curability of mental disorders in ancient medical and philosophical thought / Philip van der Eijk -- Philosophical therapy as preventive psychological medicine / Christopher Gill -- From homer to attic tragedy -- From homeric ate to tragic madness / Suzanne Said -- The madness of tragedy / Glenn W. Most -- Mental disorders and responsibility -- Mental illness, moral error, and responsibility in late Plato / Maria Michela Sassi -- The rhetoric of the insanity plea / David Konstan -- A roman coda -- Madness in the Digest / Peter Toohey -- The psychological impact of disasters in the age of Justinian / Jerry Toner.
- 9789004249820 (hardback : alk. paper)
9004249826 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 10962459