Religious freedom [electronic resource] : Jefferson's legacy, America's creed / John Ragosta
- Ragosta, John A.
- Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press, 2013. and Baltimore, Md. : Project MUSE, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (312 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Project Muse
- Jeffersonian America
- Thomas Jefferson's religion and religious liberty -- Virginia's establishment and the revolutionary battle for religious liberty -- The Virginia statute for establishing religious freedom -- The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution : a Jeffersonian compromise -- From the First Amendment to Reynolds : Jefferson ascendant -- Federal control : Jefferson's vision in our times -- Jefferson's enduring legacy -- Documentary appendix: Virginia Statute for Establishing Religious Freedom (original and edited versions) -- Memorial & remonstrance against religious assessments -- First Amendment to the United States Constitution -- Memorial from the General Convention of Virginia Presbyterians, August 13, 1785 (Bethel) -- "Spirit of the Gospel" Resolution of the Virginia Baptist General Convention, August 13, 1785 -- Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists, January 1, 1802, and letters to Levi Lincoln and from Gideon Granger regarding the letter to the Danbury Baptists.
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826—Political and social views
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826—Religion
- Virginia. Act for establishing religious freedom
- Church and state—Virginia—History—18th century
- Church and state—United States—History—18th century
- Freedom of religion—Virginia—History—18th century
- Freedom of religion—United States—History—18th century
- 9780813933719, 0813933714, 9780813933702 (cloth : alk. paper), and 0813933706
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11146114