Castilian days / by John Hay ; with illustrations by Joseph Pennell
- Hay, John, 1838-1905
- Boston ; New York : Houghton, Mifflin and Company ; Cambridge [Mass.] : The Riverside Press, MCMIII.
- Holiday edition.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 343 pages, 48 unnumbered leaves of plates : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Pennell, Joseph, 1857-1926
Ball, Thomas Watson, 1863-1934
Full Text available online
- Madrid al fresco -- Spanish living and dying -- Influence of tradition in Spanish life -- Tauromachy -- Red-letter days -- An hour with the painters -- A castle in the air -- The city of the Visigoths [Toledo] --The Escorial -- A miracle play -- The cradle and the grave of Cervantes.
- Rare Books copy: Formerly part of book artist Richard Minsky's The Book Cover Art of Thomas Watson Ball exhibition collection.
- "Published November 1903"--Verso of title page.
"In this Holiday edition of Castilian days it has been thought advisable to omit a few chapters that appeared in the original edition"--Publisher's note.
Also issued in a large paper edition. See LC record 03028988
Title-page in red and black.
Plates facing pages 120 and 208 each mislabeled as the other.
Rare Books copy is one of the specimens collected by book artist Richard Minsky and described in his exhibition catalog The Book Cover Art of Thomas Watson Ball, published: Stockport, New York : Richard Minsky, 2012.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in digital form online.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased with funds from the Mary Ann O'Brian Malkin Program Endowment for Rare Books and Manuscripts; 2013.
Rare Books copy: Purchased from Richard Minsky, book artist; 2013.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Minsky, R. Book cover art of Thomas Watson Ball, page 46
View MARC record | catkey: 11146244