Language planning and student experiences : intention, rhetoric and implementation / Joseph Lo Bianco and Renata Aliani
- Lo Bianco, Joseph
- Bristol : Multilingual Matters, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 147 pages ; 21 cm.
- Bilingual education and bilingualism
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Remaking a Nation Through Language Policy -- Texts, Debate, Behaviour -- Intention, interpretation, implementation -- The Problem of English and Global Communication -- The party politics of Australian language planning -- Official Texts (Intention) -- (1).National Statement and Plan for Languages -- (2).The National Indigenous Languages Policy -- (3).National Asian Languages and Studies in Schools Program (NALSSP) -- The relationship between the three language policy declarations -- National curriculum (2013) -- Public Debate (Interpretation) -- Prime Ministerial Visions for New Australias -- Visioning and agitating -- Italian and Japanese -- 2.Australia's Italian and Japanese -- Reprise -- Who Studies Which Languages? -- Geography, economy, demography -- Enter Italian and Japanese -- The place of Italian -- The place of Japanese -- Post-war migration -- Language Policy on Italian and Japanese -- The Italian and Japanese Diasporas -- Victoria -- 3.The Research Approach and the Schools -- The Setting -- Aims of the Research -- Research Methodology -- Diachronic research -- Synchronic (intensive) research: Focus groups and O-methodology -- Overview of the Study -- Language teachers, a key element -- Languages in the school curriculum -- Languages in the community -- Languages and student motivation -- Students' views and perceptions of languages -- 4.Student Subjectivity -- Focus Groups -- Context -- Students and language groups -- Languages and learning -- Planning for the future -- General reflections on the language programme -- Improving the language programme -- Specific likes and dislikes -- Timetabling -- Top or preferred subjects -- Why learn a language? -- Q-Study -- Methodology and context -- Sorts and perspectives - Italian -- Differences between perspectives - Italian -- Sorts and perspectives - Japanese -- Differences between perspectives - Japanese -- General Observations from the Data -- 5.Pushing Policy To Be Real -- Appendices -- Appendix 1 Q-Statements, Italian -- Appendix 2 Q-Statements, Japanese.
- 9781783090044 (hbk : alk. paper)
1783090049 (hbk : alk. paper)
9781783090037 (pbk : alk. paper)
1783090030 (pbk : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11160500