A good read [electronic resource].
- Additional Titles:
- Man on the moon and Varjak Paw
- [England] : Teachers TV/UK Department of Education, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (33 min.).
- Additional Creators:
- Big Heart Media
- Language Note:
- This edition in English.
- Varjak Paw won the Smarties Prize Gold Award; but what makes it such a good book? The author, SF Said, spends an afternoon with Year 4 teacher Carl Taylor and his class at Applegarth Junior School, Croydon. All big fans, the children introduce the book for us and seize the opportunity to ask SF about his inspirations. The children explain their identification with some of the characters; Guardian critic and CLPE co-director Julia Eccleshare comments on the strengths of these books in particular and on the role of fiction in children's lives. SF deconstructs some of Dave McKean's powerful and cinematic illustrations, and explains some of the roots and resonances of the big themes of trust, authority and friendship. Discussion ranges from gang war and fascism to the muppets as he and Carl do the voices and read aloud to the children, who have the last word on the moral of the story.
What is it that clicks when a book really works in the literacy classroom? A demanding Year 2 group is won over by the picture book Man on the Moon . Teacher Kerry Gallagher has used the layers of meaning and knowing that are hidden in the text and pictures to give her class a sense of secret belonging and ownership of the story and characters. Guardian children's book reviewer and CLPE co-director Julia Eccleshare argues for the role of picture books in early literacy work, and author Simon Bartram shares some of his working methods with the class. There are no literacy stars here; achievement is still very mixed, but the whole class has a new and happier relationship to books. Teachers are encouraged to trust their own judgement when choosing texts and to remember that literacy goes beyond narrow measures of reading and writing performance.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Mar. 5, 2012).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Previously released as DVD.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2012. (Education in video). Available via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 11333919