Boys' writing [electronic resource].
- [England] : Teachers TV/UK Department of Education, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (28 min.).
- Additional Creators:
- Glasshead Television and Web
- Education in video
KS2 literacy ; 1
KS2 literacy ; 2
- Language Note:
- This edition in English.
- Boys underachievement in literacy is of constant concern to schools. Ardleigh Green Junior School in Essex has seen boys achievement levels in literacy rising. The school's literacy coordinator Louise Bartlett, offers insight into the approaches she has found successful in encouraging boys to engage with literacy lessons. The programme follows Louise teaching her Year 6 class balanced report writing. She uses speaking and listening tasks as the foundation for written work and demonstrates how incorporating multimedia techniques can offer a route to literacy for those who are wary of books. Role play also proves successful, with many boys finding it easier to express their opinions in character.
A three-year research project examining ways of raising boys achievement has found literacy can't be separated from self esteem and learning style. In this programme, Dr Eve Bearne returns to Ardleigh Green Juniors, one of the schools which took part in the project. Headteacher John Morris discusses the emphasis on mixed ability teaching and the focus on speaking and listening which have been at the heart of his strategy. One of the keys to success lies in overcoming boys negative perceptions of themselves as writers and learners. An emphasis on purpose, pride & collaborative peer support is boosting self esteem and achievement. Offering pupils choices in their reading materials and encouraging independent learning, especially through group work and response partners, have also proved effective. Underlying all these approaches is coherent management of learning at the school and at classroom level. Author on literacy, Sue Palmer reflects on the school's strategies.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Mar. 5, 2012).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Previously released as DVD.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2012. (Education in video). Available via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 11333941