Iran modern / edited by Fereshteh Daftari and Layla S. Diba
- Iranian History 1945-79 / Houchang Chehabi -- Historiography of Modern Iranian Art / Hamid Keshmirshekan -- Redefining Modernism: Pluralist Art Before the 1979 Revolution / Fereshteh Daftari -- The Formation of Modern Iranian Art: From Kamal-al-Molk to Zenderoudi / Layla S. Diba -- A Short History of Art Exhibitions in Iran, 1946-78 / Media Farzin -- Modern Iranian Architecture, 1941-79 / Nader Ardalan -- Interview with Kamran Diba / Nagar Azimi -- Perspectives on the Shiraz Arts Festival: A Radical Third World Rewriting / Vali Mahlouji -- KA MOUNTAIN AND GUARDenia TERRACE: A Story about a Family and Some People Changing, a 168 Hour Play for the 1972 Festival of Shiraz / Robert Wilson -- A Remarkable Oversight: Iranian Art Photography of the 1960s and 1970s / Hamid Severi -- Works in the Exhibition -- Historical Documents -- Foreword, Inaugural Tehran Biennial Catalogue, 1958 / Ehsan Yarshater -- Foreword, Tehran Biennial Catalogue, 1966 / Director General of Cultural Relations--Ministry of Culture and the Arts -- "Why Persian Carpets Fly! An art expert hits Iran to find out--and a lot more you need to know" / Arne Glimcher -- "Saqqakhaneh School Revisited" from Saqqakhaneh, 1977 / Karim Emami -- "The Saqqa-Khaneh" from Saqqakhaneh, 1977 / Peter Lamborn Wilson.
- Supported by a thriving art market in the Persian Gulf, interest in Iranian modern art has intensified in recent years. Iran Modern offers a timely exploration of the cultural diversity and production of avant-garde art in Iran after the Second World War and up to the revolution - from 1950 through 1979. Ten essays by distinguished scholars of art and history elucidate the early development of Iranian artists, patrons, galleries, art schools, architects, and writers who influenced and participated in the dynamic decades of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. The essays describe a time when Iran experienced an outpouring of original and creative modern art and when the country was very much a part of the international art world. Exhibition: Asia Society Museum, NYC, USA (07.09.2013-05.01.2014).
- 9780300197365 (hbk.) and 0300197365 (hbk.)
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition of the same name held at the Asia Society Museum, New York, NY, September 6, 2013-January 5, 2014., Errata slip inserted., and Errata slip tipped into University park copy.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 242-247) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11343323