Rethinking the fabric of geology / edited by Victor R. Baker
- Additional Titles:
- Fabric of geology
- Boulder, Colorado : Geological Society of America, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- ix, 185 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color) ; 28 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Baker, Victor R.
- Special paper / Geological Society of America ; 502
- Common cause explanation and the search for a smoking gun / Carol E. Cleland -- Historical geology : methodology and metaphysics / Derek Turner -- The thermodynamics time arrow and the logical function of the uniformity principle in geohistorical explanation / Gadi Kravitz -- Maps as pictures or diagrams : the early development of geological maps / David Oldroyd -- Overcoming the momentum of anachronism : American geologic mapping in a twenty-first century world / P. Kyle House, Ryan Clark, and Joe Kopera -- Prediction in geology versus prediction in engineering / Peter K. Haff -- Quantitative modelling of coastal processes : a boom or a bust for society? / Orrin Pilkey, Robert Young, and Andrew Cooper -- The geosciences, climate change, and the virtues of ignorance / Robert Frodeman -- The evolving nature of collaboration in the geological sciences / Cathryn A. Manduca, Basil Tikoff, and Sara Hotchkiss -- Geological controversies : a role for history and philosophy of science in earth science education / Jeff Dodick and Glen Dolphin.
- "The 50 years since the publication of 'Fabric of Geology,' edited by C.C. Albritton Jr., have seen immense changes in both geology and philosophy of science. 'Rethinking the Fabric of Geology' explores a number of philosophical issues in geology, ranging from its nature as a historical science to implications for geological education"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780813725024 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 11343554