Vulnerabilities, impacts, and responses to HIV/AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa [electronic resource] / edited by Getnet Tadele and Helmut Kloos
- PART I. 1. Contextualizing HIV/AIDS in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Link with Tradition, Religion, and Culture; Getnet Tadele and Woldekidan Amde -- 2. Gender Inequalities, Power Relations and HIV/AIDS: Exploring the Interface; Ayalew Gebre, Tekalign Ayalew and Helmut Kloos -- 3. Youth Sexuality and HIV/AIDS: Issues and Contentions; Woldekidan Amde and Getnet Tadele -- 4. Food Insecurity, Poverty, and HIV/AIDS; Ayalew Gebre, Sebsib Belay and Helmut Kloos -- PART II: IMPACTS AND RESPONSES TO HIV/AIDS. 5. Socioeconomic and Psychosocial Impacts of HIV/AIDS and Responses at Different Levels of Society; Ayalew Gebre, Damtew Yirgu and Helmut Kloos -- 6. HIV/AIDS and the Mining and Commercial Agricultural Sectors in Southern Africa; Charles Hongoro, Getnet Tadele and Helmut Kloos -- 7. Access to Treatment, Care, Support, and Prevention Services; Getnet Tadele, Woldekidan Amde and Helmut Kloos -- 8. Care and Support for AIDS Orphans; Woldekidan Amde and Getnet Tadele -- 9. Mainstreaming HIV Interventions into Educational Systems; Anne A. Khasakhala -- 10. Monitoring and Evaluation of HIV/AIDS Prevention Programs; Anne A. Khasakhala and Helmut Kloos -- 11. Ethical Issues in HIV/AIDS Biomedical Research; Anne A. Khasakhala and Helmut Kloos -- Conclusion and the Way Forward; Damen Haile Mariam and Helmut Kloos.
- Almost four decades since AIDS was first reported in Africa, the epidemic has reached a watershed moment where progress in prevention, care and support programs confronts intransigent socioeconomic and gender rights barriers and emerging funding uncertainties. While there are grounds for cautious optimism that the incidence of HIV infections and AIDS-related mortality can be further reduced, they cannot, by themselves, end the epidemic. This will require overcoming gendered inequalities, HIV stigma and neglect of high-risk youth and socially peripheralized groups.
- 9781137009951 (electronic bk.)
1137009950 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 11343884