Free to believe : rethinking freedom of conscience and religion in Canada / Mary Anne Waldron
- Waldron, Mary Anne, 1948-
- Toronto ; Buffalo ; London : University of Toronto Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 298 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction : How freedom of conscience and religion are protected and why it matters -- Early cases : getting off on the wrong foot -- Culture wars : majority versus minority values -- When religion and politics intertwine -- Human rights : a zero sum game? -- Conflicting rights : a balancing act? -- Freedom of conscience : the forgotten human right -- Can we change? : (And why we should).
- While the range of cases explored will be of interest to scholars, Free to Believe is also written in an accessible style, with legal terms and concepts explained for those who wish to learn accurate, detailed information about the impact of the law on contemporary social policy issues. As such, this book widens the debate about this fundamental freedom and the influence of public opinion on what is often a misrepresented and misunderstood issue."--pub. desc.
- 9781442645554 (cloth : alk. paper), 1442645555 (cloth : alk. paper), 9781442613843 (pbk.), and 144261384X (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 279-284) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 11343915