The apartment [videorecording] / Metro Goldwyn Mayer ; The Mirisch Company, Inc. presents ; written by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond ; produced and directed by Billy Wilder
- Uniform Title:
- Apartment (Motion picture : 1960)
- Culver City, CA : Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 
Beverly Hills, CA : Distributed by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.
- Copyright Date:
- Collector's ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (125 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Wilder, Billy, 1906-2002, Diamond, I. A. L., Lemmon, Jack, MacLaine, Shirley, 1934-, MacMurray, Fred, 1908-1991, Walston, Ray, 1917-2001, Kruschen, Jack, 1922-2002, Lewis, David, 1916-2000, Shawlee, Joan, Stevens, Naomi, Holiday, Hope, Adams, Edie, 1927-2008, Deutsch, Adolph, 1897-1980, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Mirisch Company, United Artists Corporation, and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc
- Language Note:
- In English, dubbed French or Spanish, with optional subtitles in English or Spanish; closed-captioned in English.
- Main titles -- TV dinner -- Killing time -- Be my guest -- Two and a half colds -- Scheduling problems -- Why so popular? -- All sorts of things -- Like old times -- Trust me -- Selfish and ungrateful -- Broken mirror -- Drowning their sorrows -- Million laughs -- O-U-T -- Coffee and a prayer -- Be a mensch -- Person-to-person -- So ashamed -- Chicken soup and gin -- Jackpot -- Lunch date -- Out of her system -- Brother-in-law -- Footprint in the sand -- Kick in the head -- All washed up -- Ring in the new.
- How far will a man go to climb the corporate ladder? C.C. 'Bud' Baxter, a lowly insurance clerk, has a trump card: his apartment. He "loans" it out to married company executives for secret trysts. In return, he's well looked after, although he does grapple with his conscience. One day he asks out one of the elevator girls, Miss Kubelik, but she stands him up because of a crisis in her relationship with the big boss, Mr. Sheldrake. On Christmas Eve, Miss Kubelik realizes she is only the most recent in a long line of girls, with possibly disastrous consequences. Bud intervenes, which may give each of them a chance to be more than another faceless employee in a heartless corporation.
- Audience Notes:
- MPAA Rating: Not rated; Canadian Home Video rating: 14A.
- Originally produced as an American motion picture in 1960.
Special features: Commentary with film historian Bruce Block [audio feature]; Inside "The Apartment" [featurette] (30 min.); Magic time: The art of Jack Lemmon [featurette] (13 min.).
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Director of photography, Joseph LaShelle ; music by Adolph Deutsch ; art director, Alexander Trauner ; film editor, Daniel Mandell.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Fred MacMurray, Ray Walston, Jack Kruschen, David Lewis, Hope Holiday, Joan Shawlee, Naomi Stevens, Johnny Seven, Joyce Jameson, Willard Waterman, David White, Edie Adams.
- Technical Details:
- DVD; region 1, NTSC, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, Dolby Digital mono; widescreen, aspect ratio 2.35:1.
- No public performance rights. Classroom instruction and home use permitted.
- Academy Awards, 1961: Best art direction, best director, best editing, best picture, best screenplay.
National Film Registry selection, 1994.
Winner, 1961 Academy Awards for Best Art Direction/Set Decoration, Black-and-White: Alexandre Trauner, Edward G. Boyle; Best Film Editing: Daniel Mandell; Best Writing, Story and Screenplay-Written Directly for the Screen: Billy Wilder, I.A.L. Diamond; Best Director: Billy Wilder; Best Picture: Billy Wilder.
View MARC record | catkey: 11358536