Art and politics : a small history of art for social change since 1945 / Claudia Mesch
- Mesch, Claudia
- Additional Titles:
- Small history of art for social change since 1945
- London ; New York : I.B. Tauris, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 240 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- State-sponsored art during the Cold War -- Post-colonial identity and the Civil-Rights movement -- The anti-war and peace movements -- Feminisms -- Gay identity/queer art -- Environmental art -- Anti-globalization -- Epilogue : protestAR : #OCCUPYWALLSTREET and #arOCCUPYWALLSTREET.
- Contemporary art is increasingly concerned with swaying the opinions of its viewer. To do so, the art employs various strategies to convey a political message. This book provides readers with the tools to decode and appreciate political art, a crucial and understudied direction in post-war art.
- AUTH: ARIZONA STATE UNIV. EXAMINES WAYS ARTISTS HAVE ENGAGED W/ POLITICAL & GRASSROOTS MOVEMENTS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 207-221) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11530562