The MassGeneral Hospital for Children Handbook of Pediatric Global Health [electronic resource] / edited by Nupur Gupta, Brett D. Nelson, Jennifer Kasper, Patricia L. Hibberd
- Gupta, Nupur
- New York, NY : Springer New York : Imprint: Springer, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- XVII, 568 pages 111 illustrations, 95 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Nelson, Brett D., Kasper, Jennifer, Hibberd, Patricia, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- The MassGeneral Hospital for Children Handbook of Pediatric Global Health is a concise resource for the ever-increasing number of health professionals involved in global health, many of whom spend a few weeks to months or even years providing medical care in resource-poor countries. This Handbook provides practical, evidence-based, hands-on guidance for managing and preventing childhood illnesses when resources are limited in low- and middle-income countries. It also offers a setting-specific understanding and management approaches to the major causes of childhood mortality, including pneumonia, diarrhea, birth asphyxia, complications of preterm birth, and neonatal sepsis. The Handbook provides an overview of childhood mortality, health systems, and the various stakeholders that play a role in the global health arena, and also contains chapters focusing on adolescents who are increasingly recognized as a unique population in whom interventions can go a long way in bothconsolidating the gains made in childhood and preventing adult disease. Finally, key topics in non-communicable diseases are covered, including trauma and injuries, pediatric mental health, child and adolescent rights, and oral health. Not meant solely for pediatricians, the Handbook is designed for generalists, specialists, doctors, nurses, other health care workers, and those in training. An indispensable reference for health professionals overseas, the Handbook will also be a useful addition and resource for academic centers and universities in industrialized nations that are creating courses for trainees who will do clinical electives abroad during their training.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 11535805