Optimization Approaches for Solving String Selection Problems [electronic resource] / by Elisa Pappalardo, Panos M. Pardalos, Giovanni Stracquadanio
- Pappalardo, Elisa
- New York, NY : Springer New York : Imprint: Springer, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- VIII, 49 pages 2 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Pardalos, P. M. (Panos M.), 1954-, Stracquadanio, Giovanni, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- SpringerBriefs in Optimization, 2190-8354
- 1. Biological Sequences -- 2. Strings: Theory, Properties and Applications -- 3. Mathematical Optimization -- 4. String Selection Problems.
- Optimization Approaches for Solving String Selection Problems provides an overview of optimization methods for a wide class of genomics-related problems in relation to the string selection problems. This class of problems addresses the recognition of similar characteristics or differences within biological sequences. Specifically, this book considers a large class of problems, ranging from the closest string and substring problems, to the farthest string and substring problems, to the far from most string problem. Each problem includes a detailed description, highlighting both biological and mathematical features and presents state-of-the-art approaches. This Brief provides a quick introduction of optimization methods for string selection problems for young scientists and a detailed description of the mathematical and computational methods developed for experts in the field of optimization who want to deepen their understanding of the string selection problems. Researchers, practitioners and graduate students in the field of Computer Science, Operation Research, Mathematics, Computational Biology and Biomedicine will find this book useful.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 11536108