Over the Alleghenies : early canals and railroads of Pennsylvania / Robert J. Kapsch
- Kapsch, Robert J.
- Morgantown, West Virginia : West Virginia University Press, 2013.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 449 pages ; 26 cm
- Early America and the coming of the transportation revolution -- The State of Pennsylvania's program of canals and railroads (1826-1858) -- The eastern division of the Pennsylvania Canal -- The western division of the Pennsylvania Canal -- The Juniata division of the Pennsylvania Canal -- The Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad -- The Allegheny Portage Railroad -- The Susquehanna, West Branch, and North Branch divisions -- The Delaware division of the Pennsylvania Canal -- Pittsburgh to Lake Erie -- The French Creek division, the Beaver division, and the Erie extension -- The Gettysburg extension and the demise of the State of Pennsylvania's canals and railroads.
- "Between 1826 and 1858 the state of Pennsylvania built and operated the largest and most technologically advanced system of canals and railroads in North America-almost one thousand miles of transport that stretched from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and beyond. The construction of this ambitious transportation system was accompanied with great euphoria. It was widely believed that the revenue created from these canals and railroads would eliminate the need for all taxes on state citizens. Yet with the Panic of 1837, a financial crisis much like boom and bust cycle that ended in 2008, a deep recession fell across the country. By 1856, Pennsylvania had sold all canals and railroads to private companies, often for pennies-on-the-dollar. Over the Alleghenies: Early Canals and Railroads of Pennsylvania is the definitive history of the state of Pennsylvania's incredible canal and railroad system. Although often condemned as a colossal failure, this construction effort remains an innovative, magnificent feat that ushered in modern transportation to Pennsylvania and the entire country. With extensive primary research, over one hundred illustrations, newspapers clippings, and charts and graphs, Over the Alleghenies examines and dissects the infrastructure project that bankrupted the wealthiest state in the Union."--
- Railroads—Pennsylvania—History—19th century
- TRANSPORTATION—Ships & Shipbuilding—History
- Canals—Pennsylvania—History—19th century
- United States—Allegheny Mountains Region
- Allegheny Mountains Region—History—19th century
- 9781933202693 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2013
Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2015
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 11540077