The letter of Mara bar Sarapion in context [electronic resource] : proceedings of the symposium held at Utrecht University, 10-12 December 2009 / edited by Annette Merz and Teun Tieleman
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 245 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Additional Creators:
- Merz, Annette and Tieleman, Teun
- Culture and history of the ancient near east ; v. 58
- Restrictions on Access:
- Available to subscribing member institutions only.
- General Introduction / Annette B. Merz and Teun L. Tieleman -- Making use of history beyond the Euphrates: political views, cultural traditions, and historical contexts in the letter of Mara bar Sarapion / Michael A. Speidel -- Cultural responses from kingdom to province. The romanisation of Commagene, local identities and the Mara bar Sarapion letter / Miguel John Versluys -- Languages, cultural identities and elites in the land of Mara bar Sarapion / Margherita Facella -- Religious life of Commagene in the late Hellenistic and early Roman period / Michael Blomer -- Jesus as the ever-living lawgiver in the letter of Mara bar Sarapion / Petr Pokorny -- Mara's God(s) and Time / Albert de Jong -- Where is wisdom to be found? A plea in favour of Semitic Influences in the letter of Mara bar Sarapion contents -- Mara bar Sarapion and Greek philosophy / David L. Blank -- The Death(s) of Plato / Anna Ntinti -- Consolation from prison: Mara bar Sarapion and Boethius / Pieter W. van der Horst -- Mara bar Sarapion: comments on the Syriac edition, translation, and notes by David Rensberger.
- 9789004233010 (electronic book)
9789004233003 (hardback : alk. paper)
9004233008 (hardback : alk. paper)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11546227