Facing forward [electronic resource] : a charter school for at-risk youth / directed by Laura Paglin
- New York, Ny : Filmakers Library, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (67 min.).
- Additional Creators:
- Paglin, Laura
- Filmakers library online
- Language Note:
- This edition in English.
- In Cleveland, where only one in twenty African American males graduates from high school, a new charter middle school, E Prep, is one of a wave of organizations championing the “old school” values of hard work, discipline, and respect for authority. Here viewers meet Tyree, a charismatic but troubled twelve-year-old, who struggles with his sexual identity. Endowed with a quick mind and vivid imagination, he is also plagued with a temper that leads to outbursts of anger and clashes with his teachers. His mother’s initial enthusiasm for the school vanishes as their complaints about his behavior mount. After transferring to chaotic and undisciplined public school and finding little success there, Tyree is readmitted to E Prep, but has trouble focusing and is victimized because fellow students suspect he is gay. Despite graduating eighth grade, Tyree’s life remains in limbo as he begins to attend a low performing high school. This award-winning film asks the question, can a school with high expectations overcome the negativity of an inner city community?
- Title from resource description page (viewed Nov. 14, 2013).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Previously released as DVD.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2013. (Filmakers library online). Available via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 11548960