Struggle for identity [electronic resource] : issues in transracial adoption and a conversation 10 years later / a presentation of the New York State Citizens' Coalition for Children, Inc
- Ithaca, Ny : Photosynthesis Productions, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (52 min.).
- Counseling and therapy in video, volume 3
- Language Note:
- This edition in English.
- STRUGGLE FOR IDENTITY: ISSUES IN TRANSRACIAL ADOPTION is a thought-provoking 20-minute video presenting a group of adoptees who discuss their experiences growing up in transracial adoptive families. They delve into complex issues such as confronting stereotypes, fitting in with their culture of origin and learning to define themselves in terms of race and culture. Included in the video are interviews with several adoptive parents who discuss the obstacles they faced in raising children of a different race. The compelling voices of experience are touching and often brutally honest in their observations. Widely considered the definitive video on the subject, Struggle has been incorporated into county and state training and recruitment programs across the U.S. and has been seen in countries around the world. Available on this special edition DVD are never-before-seen bonus scenes, transcripts and articles, a new high quality transfer of the original program, and an all new 20-minute companion film. STRUGGLE FOR IDENTITY: A CONVERSATION 10 YEARS LATER is a captivating follow-up to the original Struggle. John and Michelle return to reflect on their experiences participating a decade ago in the first film, and why they have made transracial and multicultural adoption their life’s work. They discuss their lifelong journeys as transracial adoptees with candor and passion. The two explore issues of racism, the visible and public nature of transracial adoption, loyalty and attachment, transracialization and creating multicultural families through the lens of their personal experience and professional training.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Nov. 22, 2013). and AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Previously released as DVD.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2013. (Counseling and therapy in video, volume 3). Available via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 11552803