The Cambridge Companion to Medieval French Literature [electronic resource] / Edited by Simon Gaunt, Sarah Kay
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (300 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Additional Creators:
- Gaunt, Simon and Kay, Sarah
- Machine generated contents note: Pt. I What Is a Medieval French Text? -- 1.The Chanson de Roland / Jane Gilbert -- 2.The Old French Vulgate cycle / Peggy McCracken -- 3.Le Roman de la rose / Noah D. Guynn -- 4.The Testament of Francois Villon / Adrian Armstrong -- Pt. II What Is a Medieval French Author? -- 5.Chretien de Troyes / Matilda Tomaryn Bruckner -- 6.The Chatelain de Couci / Simon Gaunt -- 7.Guillaume de Machaut / Deborah McGrady -- 8.Christine de Pizan / Marilynn Desmond -- Pt. III What Is the Value of Genre for Medieval French Literature? -- 9.Narrative genres / Keith Busby -- 10.Lyric poetry of the later Middle Ages / Jane H. M. Taylor -- 11.Genre, parody, and spectacle / Sarah Kay -- 12.Theatre and theatricality / Helen Solterer -- Pt. IV How Can We Read Medieval French Literature Historically? -- 13.Feudalism and kingship / James R. Simpson -- 14.Clerks and laity / Emma Campbell -- 15.The marital and the sexual / William Burgwinkle -- 16.Others and alterity / Sylvia Huot -- App.Reference works for Old and Middle French.
- "This Companion offers a wide-ranging and stimulating guide to literature composed in medieval French from its beginnings in the ninth century until the Renaissance. The essays are grounded in detailed analysis of canonical texts and authors such as the Chanson de Roland, the Roman de la Rose, Villon's Testament, Chretien de Troyes, Machaut, Christine de Pizan and the Tristan romances. Featuring a chronology and suggestions for further reading, this is the ideal companion for students and scholars in other fields wishing to discover the riches of the French medieval tradition." --Book Jacket.
- 9781139001809 (ebook)
- Title from publishers bibliographic system (viewed on 21 Jan 2014).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Also issued in print format.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 11556529