Splitters, squeezes, and steals : the inside story of baseball's greatest techniques, strategies, and plays / Derek Gentile
- Gentile, Derek
- New York : Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers,  and New York : Distributed by Workman Pub. Co.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 256 pages : color illustrations ; 26 cm
- Pitching. The fastball ; The curveball ; The slider ; The changeup ; The forkball ; The split-finger fastball ; The knockdown pitch (aka The brushback) ; The knuckleball ; The spitball ; Relief pitching -- Hitting. Bunting ; The hit and run ; The home run ; Hitting .400 -- Baserunning. Stealing bases ; Crashing into players ; The home-run trot -- Fielding. The 6-4-3 double play ; The stretch ; Catching the ball in the outfield -- Tricks of the trade. The hidden-ball trick ; Intentionally getting hit by a ball ; The corked bat ; Steroids and the steroid era -- Umpires and managers. Umpires ; Leaders and managers (and captains) -- Equipment. Bats ; Baseballs; Gloves ; Catchers' equipment -- Big-league ballfields and stadiums. The evolution of the ballfield ; The home-field advantage ; Hot dogs and other refreshments.
- 9781603761871 and 160376187X
- Ronald A. Smith Sports History Book Collection.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 247) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11573772