Selling sickness [electronic resource] / a Paradigm Pictures production ; director, Catherine Scott ; producer, Pat Fiske
- Additional Titles:
- Title from container: Selling sickness : an ill for every pill [electronic resource] and Ill for every pill [electronic resource]
- Bondi Beach, Nsw : Paradigm Pictures, 
Brooklyn, N.Y. : First Run/Icarus Films.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (52 min.) : sound, color
- Additional Creators:
- Healy, David, 1954-, Moynihan, Ray, Scott, Catherine (Filmmaker), Fiske, Pat, Paradigm Pictures, Australian Film Finance Corporation, First Run/Icarus Films, Hilton Cordell & Associates, SBS Independent, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, New South Wales Film and Television Office, and France 2.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Remote access restricted to authorized users.
- Documentary examines the pharmaceutical industry's marketing of antidepressants with particular emphasis on the firm GlaxoSmithKline. It explores the unhealthy relationships between society, medical science and the pharmaceutical industry as they promote miracle cures - selling not just drugs but also the latest diseases that go with them. It also looks at the growing controversy around SSRI antidepressants (especially as they affect adolescents) and follows British psychiatrist David Healy and patients' accusations that aggressive drug marketing is blurring the boundaries between medical conditions and ordinary life.
- Healy, David, 1954-
- Pharmaceutical industry—Moral and ethical aspects
- Advertising—Medicine—Moral and ethical aspects
- Advertising—Drugs—Moral and ethical aspects
- Medicine—Marketing—Moral and ethical aspects
- Drugs—Marketing—Moral and ethical aspects
- Drug Industry—ethics
- Antidepressive Agents, Second-Generation—adverse effects
- Attitude to Health
- Drug Industry—economics
- Related Titles:
- Cutting edge (Television program : Australia)
- Produced in association with SBS Independent, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, France 2, and the New South Wales Film and Television Office.
Related to the book Selling Sickness / Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels.
"Produced in association with SBS Independent, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, France 2, New South Wales Film and Television Office."
Originally broadcast 5 October 2004, as part of the program The cutting edge.
Title from title frames.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Editor, Karen Johnson ; photography, John Whitteron ; composer, Felicity Fox ; concept, research, and writing, Ray Moynihan, Catherine Scott; Executive Producer Chris Hilton, Hilton Cordell Productions.
Editor, Karen Johnson; photography, John Whitteron; composer, Felicity Fox ; narrator, Robyn Johnston.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Commentary: David Healy, Vince Parry, Jack Gorman, Murray Stein ; narrator, Robyn Johnston.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 or higher; Firefox 4.0 or higher; Flash or HTML5 player.
View MARC record | catkey: 11574885