The punitive turn [electronic resource] : new approaches to race and incarceration / edited by Deborah E. McDowell, Claudrena N. Harold, and Juan Battle
- Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press, 2013.
Baltimore, Md. : Project Muse, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (pages cm.)
- Additional Creators:
- Battle, Juan, 1968-, Harold, Claudrena N., McDowell, Deborah E., 1951-, and Project Muse
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Punishment in Historical Perspective -- "Please Hear Our Cries": The Hidden History of Black Prisoners in America / Mary Ellen Curtin -- From Researching the Past to Reimagining the Future: Locating Carceral Crisis and the Key to Its End, in the Long Twentieth Century / Heather Ann Thompson -- "Bright and Good Looking Colored Girl": Black Women's Sexuality and "Harmful Intimacy" in Early-Twentieth-Century New York / Cheryl D. Hicks -- Abject Correction and Penal Medical Photography in the Early Twentieth Century / Ethan Blue -- Mass Incarceration, Prisoner Rights, and the Legacy of the Radical Prison Movement / Anoop Mirpuri -- 2.Social and Economic Consequences of Punishment -- Economic and Relational Penalties of Incarceration / Charles E. Lewis Jr. -- Implications of Mass Imprisonment for Inequality among American Children / Christopher Muller -- The "Hard Back" of Mass Incarceration: Fear, Structural Racism, and the Overpunishment of Violent Crime / Jonathan Simon -- 3.Race, Prison, and the Aesthetic Imagination -- Rage against the Machine: African American Music and the Evolution of the Penitentiary Blues, 1961-2000 / Claudrena-N. Harold -- Law and Dis/Order: The Banefully Alluring Arts of the Carceral Imaginary / Marlon B. Ross -- 4.Life after Prison: Interviews -- Jim Shea, interviewed / Jared Brown -- Harold Folley, interviewed / Tshepo Morongwa Chery -- Eddie Harris, interviewed / Tshepo Morongwa Chery -- Debbie Walker, interviewed / Tshepo Morongwa Chery.
9780813935201 (cloth : alk. paper)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11575558