Sex Before Sex [electronic resource] : Figuring the Act in Early Modern England / James M. Bromley and Will Stockton, editors ; afterword by Valerie Traub
- Minneapolis ;London : University of Minnesota Press, 2013.
Baltimore, Md. : Project Muse, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (vii, 329 pages )
- Additional Creators:
- Stockton, Will, Bromley, James M., 1978-, and Project Muse
- Introduction: Figuring early modern sex / Will Stockton and James M. Bromley -- "Invisible sex!": What looks like the act in early modern drama? / Christine Varnado -- Death and theory: Or, the problem of counterfactual sex / Kathryn Schwarz -- Spectacular impotence: Or, things that hardly ever happen in the critical history of pornography / Melissa J. Jones -- "Unmanly passion": Sodomitical self-fashioning in John Ford's The Lover's Melancholy and Perkin Warbeck / Nicholas F. Radel -- The erotics of chin-chucking in seventeenth-century England / Will Fisher -- Rimming the Renaissance / James M. Bromley -- Animal, vegetable, sexual: Metaphor in John Donne's "Sappho to Philaenis" and Andrew Marvell's "The garden" / Stephen Guy-Bray -- Aping rape: Animal ravishment and sexual knowledge in early modern England / Holly Dugan -- The seduction of Milton's lady: Rape, psychoanalysis, and the erotics of consumption in "Comus" / Will Stockton -- "How human life began": Sexual reproduction in Book 8 of Paradise Lost / Thomas H. Luxon -- Afterword / Valerie Traub.
9780816680764 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
9780816680771 (pb : acid-free paper)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11575796