Materializing Southeast Asia's past [electronic resource] : selected papers from the 12th International Conference of the European Association of Southeast Asian Archaeologists. Volume 2 / edited by Marijke J. Klokke and Veronique Degroot
- [Place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], 2013.
Baltimore, Md. : Project Muse.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 PDF (xvi, 289 pages) :) : illustrations (some color).
- Additional Creators:
- Degroot, Véronique, Klokke, Marijke J., Project Muse, and Project Muse
- Introduction -- -- Part 1. Art, religion and politics : Buddhist monuments in Java and Cambodia -- Borobudur : a monument of Avatam?saka Buddhism / Jan Fontein -- Art historical evidence for the building phases of Borobudur / Marijke J. Klokke -- Enshrouded in Dharma and Artha : the narrative sequence of Borobudur's first gallery wall / Cecelia Levin -- The tantric roots of the Buddhist pantheon of Jayavarman VII / Peter D. Sharrock -- Buddhist iconography in Brahmanical temples of Angkor / Vittorio Roveda -- A study of wooden structures : a contribution to the architectural history of the Bayon style monuments / Olivier Cunin -- Part 2. Southeast Asian transformations : cultural exchange with South Asia -- Gold sheet images in a local Javanese style / Pauline Lunsingh Scheurleer -- The inscription on an embossed image of Sþiva in gold leaf from Central Java, Indonesia / Arlo Griffiths -- Images of Sūrya from mainland Southeast Asia / Marion Frenger -- Religious syncretism in 11th-century Thaton : a Southeast Asian transformation of Vis?s?u / Pamela Gutman -- The context of the West Mebon Vis?s?u / Marnie Fenely -- The cross-handed gesture in Sri Lankan and Thai art : a new observation / Chedha Tingsanchali -- Part 3. Technology: workmanship in art and material culture -- Techno-cultural perspectives on medieval Southeast Asia and Southern India : Pallava bronzes and beyond / Sharada Srinivasan -- Khmer ceramic technology : a case study from Thnal Mrech Kiln Site, Phnom Kulen / Chhay Rachna, Heng Piphal and Chhay Visoth -- The creative sculptural process as evidenced in the Rāmāyas?a reliefs of Candi Loro Jonggrang, Prambanan, Central Java / Natalie S.Y. Ong -- Decorative lintels and ateliers at Mahendraparvata and Hariharālaya / Martin Polkinghorne -- Part 4. Southeast Asia between past and present -- Funeral scenes in the Rāmāyas?a mural painting at the Emerald Buddha Temple / M.L. Pattaratorn Chirapravati -- Jars in the central highlands of mainland Southeast Asia / Louise Allison Cort and Leedom Lefferts -- Pagoda desecration and Myanmar archaeology, 1853-86 / Elizabeth Howard Moore -- Fame and fortune in two Philippine cemeteries : tombstones as extensions of identity / Grace Barretto-Tesoro and Joan Tara Reyes -- About the authors -- Index.
- 'Materializing Southeast Asia's Past' contains articles in historical and anthropological archaeology, epigraph, and art history. The interpretations of art and material culture offer new understandings of classical Hindu and Buddhist cultures of Southeast Asia and their relationship to the region's medieval cultures. The articles are presented under four headings, as follows: Art, religion and politics (Buddhist monuments in Java and Cambodia); Southeast Asian transformations (cultural exchange with South Asia); Technology (workmanship in art and material culture); and Southeast Asia between past and present.
- Issued as part of UPCC book collections on Project MUSE.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11576053