Obscenity rules [electronic resource] : Roth v. United States and the long struggle over sexual expression / Whitney Strub
- Strub, Whitney
- Lawrence, Kansas : University Press of Kansas, 2013. and Baltimore, Md. : Project Muse, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 268 pages )
- Additional Creators:
- Project Muse
- Landmark law cases & American society
- Toward obscenity : legal evolution from colonies to comstock -- Modernizing free speech : politics, sex, and the First Amendment in the early twentieth century -- Samuel Roth, from art to smut -- The absent Supreme Court : obscenity doctrine in the 1940s -- Cold War, hot lust : sexual politics in the 1950s -- Anatomy of a case -- Writing Roth : the court opines -- The two Roths : liberalization, regulation, and the apparent paradox of obscenity in the 1960s -- From porno chic to new critiques : conservatives, feminists, and backlash to obscenity -- Epilogue : after obscenity?
- 9780700619757, 9780700619375 (pbk. : alk. paper), 0700619372 (pbk. : alk. paper), 9780700619368 (cloth), and 0700619364 (cloth)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11576094