People on the move in a changing climate : the regional impact of environmental change on migration / Etienne Piguet, Frank Laczko, editors
- Global Migration Issues, 2213-252X ; v. 2
- Regional perspective on migration, the environment and climate change / Frank Laczko and Etienne Piguet -- Migration and environmental change in Asia / Graeme Hugo and Douglas K. Bardsley -- Environmental change and migration between Europe and its neighbours / Mark Mulligan, Sophia Burke, and aitlin Douglas -- Environmental change and human migration in Sub-Saharan Africa / Jame4s Morrissey -- Climate change, extreme weather events, and migration: review of the literature for five Arab countries / Quention Wodon .. [et a.] -- Migration and environmental change in North America (USA and Canada) / Susana B. Adamo and Alexander M. de Sherbinin -- Migration and climate change in Latin America and the Caribbean / Raoul Ka3nzig and 4tienne Piguet -- Migration and climate change in Oceania / John Campbell and Richard Bedford -- The changing Hindu Kush Himalayas: environmental change and migration / Soumyadeep Banerjee ... [et al.]. -- Regional policy perspectives / Pauline Popp.
- "Climate change is one of the major concerns for th international community. Even if precise estimates are unavailable, it is expected that more and more people will migrate due to changes in the environment in the future. Despite a growing body of case-studies, there was no volume which provides a synthesis and comparison of how each of the major regions of the world is likely to be affected by changes in the environment and migration in the coming years. This book therefore fills an important gap in the literature, and at the same time informs regional policy discussions. At present, most of the policy fora which exist to promote cooperation between States on migration issues at the regional level, such as regional consultative processes on migration, do not include policymakers dealing with environmental issues. The book will, therefore, serve as an important tool for policymakers interested in promoting regional cooperation on issues relating to migration, the environment and climate change. Each chapter of the book is written by leading experts of the region, on the bases of a unified framework, in order to produce an evidence-base and exhaustive assessment of the state of knowledge on the environment/migration nexus"--Book presentation.
- "International Organization for Migration (IOM)"--Cover.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Lawrence C., Wives Ruth Jennings 1934-1964 and Evelyn Foster 1966-1999, Lemmon Social Sciences Libraries Collections Endowment; 2013
View MARC record | catkey: 11938663