Marína of the Zabbaleen [videorecording] / Torch Films presents a Blue Nile Productions production ; a film by Engi Wassef ; producer [and director], Engi Wassef
- Language Note:
- Arabic with English subtitles.
- "Enter the extraordinary world of seven-year-old Marína, as she lives in the Muqqattam garbage recycling village in Cairo, Egypt. Her world of simple beauty and big dreams (she aspires to be a doctor) cannot be diminished by the difficulty of her circumstances. An impressionistic portrait of childhood and family, the film also tells the story of the resourceful Zabbaleen, a Coptic Christian community of recyclers whose entrepreneurial waste management system produces the highest recycling rate in the world. ... in May 2009, in reaction to the outbreak of Swine Influenza, the Egyptian government ordered the eradication of the country's pig population. For almost a century, the Zabbaleen had raised pigs to consume the thousands of tons of organic waste generated daily by Cairo's residents. No people has felt the ramifications of the Swine Influenza pandemic more acutely than the Zabbaleen, who were stripped of the crucial foundation of their thorough recycling system"--Container.
- Kameel, Marína
- Christian children—Egypt—Cairo—Social conditions
- Girls—Egypt—Cairo—Social conditions
- Copts—Cairo—Social conditions
- Religious minorities—Egypt—Cairo—Social conditions
- Sanitation workers—Egypt—Cairo—Social conditions
- Child labor—Egypt—Cairo
- Refuse collection—Egypt—Cairo
- Recycling (Waste, etc.)—Egypt—Cairo
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 2009.
Special feature: optional audio commentary (in English).
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Director of photography, Rob Hauer ; editor, Nicholas Martin ; musical score, Michiel Neuman.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Subjects: Marína Kameel, Om Romani, Kameel Mushir, Yousef Kameel, Romani Kameel, Mina Kameel, Abu Zakaria, Nasser, Mansour, Om Ayman, Krollous, Abouna Samaan.
- Technical Details:
- DVD; NTSC; widescreen (aspect ratio 1.85:1); 5.1 audio.
- No public performance rights. Classroom instruction and home use permitted.
View MARC record | catkey: 11942006