Low Dimensional Structures Prepared by Epitaxial Growth or Regrowth on Patterned Substrates [electronic resource] / edited by Karl Eberl, Pierre M. Petroff, Piet Demeester
- Eberl, Karl
- Additional Titles:
- Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop, Ringberg in Rottach Egern, Germany, February 20--24, 1995
- Dordrecht : Springer Netherlands : Imprint: Springer, 1995.
- Physical Description:
- XI, 386 pages : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Petroff, Pierre M., Demeester, Piet, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- NATO ASI Series, Series E: Applied Sciences, 0168-132X ; 298
- Theoretical Aspects of Epitaxial Growth -- Submonolayer template formation for epitaxial processes -- Role of stress in the self-assembly of nanostructures -- Self Assembling Nanostructures / Cluster Formation -- Semiconductor nanostructures: Nature’s way -- Nucleation and growth of InAs islands on GaAs: An optical study -- Growth and properties of self assembling quantum dots in III/V compound semiconductors -- Self-assembling InP/In0.48Ga0.52P quantum dots grown by MBE -- Group III–V and group IV quantum dot synthesis -- Growth on Tilted and Non-(001) Surfaces -- Epitaxy on high-index surfaces: A key to self-organizing quantum wires and dots -- Binding of electrons and holes at quantum wires formed by T-intersecting quantum wells -- Between one and two dimensions: Quantum wires arrays grown on vicinal surfaces -- The characterization of the growth of sub-monolayer coverages of Si and Be on GaAs (001)-c(4×4) & (2×4)-? by reflectance anisotropy spectroscopy and RHEED -- Laterally ordered incorporation of impurity atoms on vicinal GaAs (001) surfaces -- The role of exchange reactions and strain in the heteroepitaxy on vicinal GaAs surfaces -- Nanostructure Growth on Patterned Silicon Substrates -- Formation and properties of SiGe/Si quantum wire structures -- Self-assembling growth of silicon nanostructures with micro shadow masks -- Radiative recombination in SiGe/Si dots and wires selectively grown by LPCVD -- Evolution of Si surface nanostructure under growth conditions -- Nanostructures Prepared by Selective Epitaxy or Regrowth on Patterned Substrates -- Fabrication of quantum wires and dots and nanostructure characterization -- The chemistry and growth of MOVPE-based selective epitaxy -- Photoassisted selective area growth of III–V compounds -- Concepts for lateral III–V heterostructures fabricated by surface selective growth in MOMBE -- Molecular processes for surface selective growth on patterned substrates; an investigation of CBE AlAs deposition -- Basic growth studies and applications of quantum structures grown on submicron gratings -- Pyramidal quantum dot structures fabricated using selective area MOCVD -- Selective epitaxy for ridge and edge quantum wire structures: Morphology and purity issues -- Simulation of molecular beam epitaxial growth over nonplanar surfaces -- Seeded self-ordering of low-dimensional quantum structures by nonplanar epitaxy -- Structural investigations of the direct growth of AlGaAs/GaAs quantum wire structures by MOVPE -- Growth induced and patterned 0-dimensional quantum structures -- In-Situ Processing and Device Applications Based on Epitaxial Regrowth -- Growth of low dimensional structures for optical application -- Operation of strained multi-quantum wire lasers -- MBE-regrowth for monolithic integration of GaAs-based field-effect transistors and Schottky diodes -- Chemical beam etching and epitaxy with atomic scale control and instant switching between etching and epitaxy -- In-Situ etching and MBE regrowth for templated sidewall quantum wires.
- Significant experimental work is devoted to the preparation of one and zero dimensional semiconductor structures in view of future electronic and optical devices which involve quantum effects. The aim is good control in the realisation of nanometer structures both in vertical and lateral direction. Conventional processing techniques based on lithography face inherent problems such as limited resolution and surface defects caused by reactive ion etching. During the last few years several research groups started working on direct syntheses of semiconductor nanostructures by combining epitaxial growth techniques such as molecular beam epitaxy and chemical vapour deposition with pre patterning of the substrate wafers. Another idea is based on island formation in strained layer heteroepitaxy. Zero and one dimensional structures with dimensions down to a few atomic distances have been realised this way. An important point is that the size of the quantum structures is controlled within the epitaxial deposition in a self-adjusting process. The main subjects of the book are: Theoretical aspects of epitaxial growth, selfassembling nanostructures and cluster formation, epitaxial growth in tilted and non-(001) surfaces, cleaved edge overgrowth, nanostructure growth on patterned silicon substrates, nanostructures prepared by selective area epitaxy or growth on patterned substrates, in-situ etching and device applications based on epitaxial regrowth on patterned substrates. The experimental work mainly concentrated on GaAs/A1GaAs, GaAs/InGaAs, InGaP/InP and Si/SiGe based semiconductor heterostructures. Growth related problems received special attention. The different concepts for preparation of low dimensional structures are presented to allow direct comparison and to identify new concepts for future research work.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 11947639