Tailoring of Mechanical Properties of Si3N4 Ceramics [electronic resource] / edited by Michael J. Hoffmann, Günter Petzow
- Hoffmann, Michael J.
- Additional Titles:
- Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Research Workshop on `Tailoring of High Temperature Properties of Si3N4 Ceramics', Schloß Ringberg/Munich, Germany, October 6--9, 1993
- Dordrecht : Springer Netherlands : Imprint: Springer, 1994.
- Physical Description:
- XVII, 456 pages : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Petzow, G. and SpringerLink (Online service)
- NATO ASI Series, Series E: Applied Sciences, 0168-132X ; 276
- I. Processing and Densification -- Colloidal Processing of Structurally Reliable Si3N4 -- Silicon Nitride Materials for Engine Applications -- High Temperature Resistant Silicon-Nitride Ceramics by Optimized Two-Step Gas Pressure Sintering -- II. Microstructure — Development, Characterization and Influence on Mechanical Properties -- Analysis of Microstructural Development and Mechanical Properties of Si3N4 Ceramics -- 3D — Characterization of Sintered Microstructures with Prismatic Grains — A Precondition for Microstructural Modelling of Si3N4 Ceramics -- Microstructural Contributions to the Fracture Resistance of Silicon Nitride Ceramics -- Improvement of Strength and Toughness of Silicon Nitride Ceramics -- III. Phase Diagrams and SiAlON Composites -- Calculation of Phase Diagrams of Multicomponent Systems -- ??? SiAlON Transformation -- High Performance Silicon Nitride Composite Ceramics Through Grain Boundary and Microstructural Tailoring -- SiAlON Composite Ceramics -- IV. Grain Boundary Phases: IV. 1. Properties of Oynitride Glasses -- Structure, Formation, and Stability of Oxynitride Glasses -- Rheological Behavior of YSiAlON Glasses — Its Incidence on the High-Temperature Deformation of Si3N4 Ceramics Sintered with Al2O3 and Y2O3 Additives -- Devitrification Behavior of Oxynitride Glasses -- IV. Grain Boundary Phases: IV.2. Devitrification in Silicon Nitride Ceramics -- Crystallization of the Nanophase in Silicon Nitrides -- Crystallization of Grain Boundary Phases in Silicon Nitride and SiAlON Ceramics -- High — Temperature Properties of Yb — Containing Si3N4 -- Processing, Phase Formation and Creep Behavior of Si3N4 with Y2O3 and Al2O3 -- IV. Grain Boundary Phases: IV.3. Analysis and Characterization of Intergranular Grain Boundary Films -- High Resolution Electron Microscopy Studies on Silicon Nitride Ceramics -- Compositions and Thicknesses of Grain Boundary Films in Ca-Doped Silicon Nitride Ceramics -- The Intergranular Film in Silicon Nitride Ceramics: A Diffuse Interface Approach -- V. High Temperature Properties -- Creep Damage Mechanisms in Si3N4 -- Creep Mechanisms in Silicon Nitride Ceramics -- Tensile Creep Rupture and Subcritical Crack Growth of Silicon Nitride -- Internal Stresses in Silicon Nitride and Their Influence on Mechanical Behavior -- Cyclic Fatigue — Crack Growth in Si3N4-Ceramics -- Subcritical Crack Growth of Si3N4 under Thermal Loading by Light Irradiation -- Subcritical Crack Growth Resistance in Silicon Nitride Ceramics -- VI. Mechanical Performance and Applications -- Fracture Behavior of Silicon Nitride at Elevated Temperatures -- Mechanical Performance of a Commercial Silicon Nitride Pre-Exposed to a Sulphidizing Atmosphere at High Temperature -- Ceramics for Engines -- Fabrication and High Temperature Properties of Silicon Nitride Ceramics with Transition Metal Suicides Dispersion -- Author Index.
- This book summarizes recent developments in silicon nitride ceramics with respect to processing, mechanical properties and potential applications. It presents opportunities of controlling the microstructural development and gives an analysis of the enormous progress in improving room--temperature strength. Special emphasis is given to the influence of the grain boundary phase on the high--temperature properties. The articles describe the scientific advances in understanding creep deformation, subcritical crack growth and fatigue behaviour. The discussion of the stability of the amorphous grain boundary and devitrification behaviour demonstrates the possibilities and limits for the development of high--temperature resistant materials. All authors are leading experts in this field, guaranteeing the high quality of the contributions. The book has been carefully arranged to achieve a textbook format which will be of value to researchers already active in the field as well as newcomers and students.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
View MARC record | catkey: 11947700