The Cambridge companion to Homer [electronic resource] / edited by Robert Fowler
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 419 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Fowler, R. L. (Robert Louis), 1954-
- Cambridge companions to literature
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- pt. 1. The poems and their narrator. The Iliad : an unpredictable classic / Donald Lateiner ; The Odyssey and its explorations / Michael Silk ; The story-teller and his audience / Ruth Scodel -- pt. 2. The characters. The Gods in the Homeric epics / Emily Kearns ; Manhood and heroism / Michael Clarke ; Gender and Homeric epic / Nancy Felson and Laura Slatkin -- pt. 3. The poet's craft. Formulas, metre and type-scenes / Matthew Clark ; Similes and other likenesses / Richard Buxton ; The speeches / Jasper Griffin -- pt. 4. Text and context. Epic as genre / John Miles Foley ; The epic tradition in Greece / Ken Dowden ; Homer's society / Robin Osborne ; The Homeric question / Robert Fowler -- pt. 5. Homeric receptions. Homer and Greek literature / Richard Hunter ; Roman Homer / Joseph Farrell ; Homer and English epic / Penelope Wilson ; Homer and the Romantics / Timothy Webb ; Homer and Ulysses / Vanda Zajko ; Homer : the history of an idea / James I. Porter ; "Shards and suckers" : contemporary receptions of Homer / Lorna Hardwick ; Homer in English translation / George Steiner.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 11949283