Shenoute of Atripe and the uses of poverty [electronic resource] : rural patronage, religious conflict and monasticism in late antique Egypt / Ariel G. López
- López, Ariel G., 1977-
- Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 237 pages) : illustrations, maps
- The transformation of the classical heritage ; 50 and The Joan Palevsky imprint in classical literature
- Shenoute of Atripe: stern abbot, loquacious preacher, patron of the poor and scourge of pagans in fifth-century Egypt. This book studies his numerous Coptic writings and finds them to be the most important literary source for the study of society, economy and religion in late antique Egypt. The issues and concerns Shenoute grappled with on a daily basis, Ariel Lopez argues were not local problems, unique to one small corner of the. ancient world.
- 9780520954922 (ebook)
- Revised dissertation--Princeton University, 2010. and AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 12131285