Symphony no. 8 : Adagio from Symphony no. 10 / Mahler
- Mahler, Gustav, 1860-1911
- Uniform Title:
- Symphonies. Selections
- San Francisco : San Francisco Symphony, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 sound file)
- Additional Creators:
- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von, 1749-1832, Wall, Erin, 1975-, Van den Heever, Elza, Claycomb, Laura, Karnéus, Katarina, Naef, Yvonne, 1957-, Griffey, Anthony Dean, 1967-, Kelsey, Quinn, Morris, James, 1947-, Tilson Thomas, Michael, 1944-, Mahler, Gustav, 1860-1911, San Francisco Symphony Chorus, Pacific Boychoir, San Francisco Girls Chorus, and San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
- Language Note:
- Sung in Latin (1st movement of 2nd work) and German (2nd movement of 2nd work).
- Symphony no. 10. Adagio (27:41) -- Symphony no. 8 (1:24:08).
- The first part of Mahler's 8th symphony is built around the 4th century Latin hymn Veni, Creator Spiritus (come, spirit of creation). The second part retells the final episode of Goethe's Faust in which the title character finds salvation. This recording also includes the Adagio from Mahler's 10th symphony and is the final installment of the San Francisco Symphony's Mahler cycle.
- ["00:27:41", "00:23:16", "01:00:52"]
- The 1st movement a setting of the hymn Veni Creator Spiritus; the 2nd a setting of the final scene from Goethe's Faust.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Erin Wall, Elza van den Heever, Laura Claycomb, sopranos ; Katarina Karnéus, Yvonne Naef, mezzo-sopranos ; Anthony Dean Griffey, tenor ; Quinn Kelsey, baritone ; James Morris, bass-baritone ; San Francisco Symphony Chorus ; Pacific Boychoir ; San Francisco Girls Chorus ; Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded live Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco November 19-23, 2008 ; Adagio recorded April 6-8, 2006.
View MARC record | catkey: 12134505