Dialogues with the past : classical reception theory & practice / edited by Anastasia Bakogianni
- London : Institute of Classical Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London, 2013.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes (x, 472) pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Bakogianni, Anastasia
Reception of Ancient Greek and Roman Drama Conference (2008 : University of London. Institute of Classical Studies)
- Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies supplement ; 126
- Volume 1. Introduction: in dialogue with the past / Anastasia Bakogianni -- Section 1. Theoretical approaches and concerns. Chapter 1. The audience in classical reception studies. The problem of the spectators: ancient and modern / Lorna Hardwick -- Greek tragedy and the modern director / Helen Eastman -- Chapter 2. Reception and the source text. Hallucination, drunkenness, and mirrors: ancient reception of modern drama / Chiara Thumiger -- Throwing out the menos with the bath water: the Sophoclean text vs Peter Stein's Electra (2007) / Efimia D. Karakantza -- Section 2. The classical past in Hellas. Chapter 3. Modern Greek performance reception. All the king's patriots? The Persians within the walls of nineteenth-century Athens / Gonda Van Steen -- At the receiving end: tragic and comic intertextuality in Bost's newfangled Medea / Maria Troupi -- Chapter 4. Byzantine receptions. Christus Patiens and the reception of Euripides' Bacchae in Byzantium / Marigo Alexopoulou -- Tragedy in Byzantium: the reception of Sophocles in Eusthanthios' Homeric commentaries / Antony Makrinos -- Chapter 5: The reception of ancient art in Nikos Engonopoulos. Art and poetics in NIkos Engonopoulos. The metaphysics of statues / Hara Thliveri -- Chapter 6. The Euripidean trilogy of Michael Cacoyannis. Re-politicizing Euripides: the power of the peasantry in Michael Cacoyannis' Electra (1962) / Charles Chiasson -- Who rules this nation: political intrigue and the struggle for power in Michael Cacoyannis' Iphigenia (1977) / Anastasia Bakogianni -- Cacoyannis' trilogy: out of the spirit of music / Stella Voskaridou.
Volume 2. Introduction: in dialogue with the past 2 / Antastasia Bakogianni -- Chapter 1. Performance reception. Feeling the words in Sophocles' Electra / Jane Montgomery Griffiths -- Sarah Ruhl's Eurydice: a dramatic study of the Orpheus myth in reverse / Athena Coronis -- 'Absolute Alcestis': Robert Wilson stages Euripides and Heiner Müller (Stuttgart 1987) / Hans Peter Obermayer -- Chapter 2. Performance histories. Performances of Greek and Roman drama at the Roman theatre of Sagunto (1982-2008) / Laura Monrós-Gaspar -- Five Medeas: Euripides in Brazil / Maria Cecília Coelho -- Chapter 3. French receptions. 'Accidental creativity': scribes, scholars, translators, and the Iphigenia dramas of seventeenth-century France / Susanna Phillippo -- Peladan's symbolist Prométhéide and the transformation of world in fin de siècle Paris / Paul Monaghan -- Chapter 4. Latin receptions. The attack-scene in Euripides' Alexandros and its reception in Etruscan art / Ioanna Karamanou -- Imperial love affairs on the stage: the pseudo-Senecan Praetexta Octavia and the opera Il Nerone (1679) / Gesine Manuwald -- Contaminatio and adaptation: the modern reception of ancient drama as an aid to understanding Roman comedy / Lisa Maurice -- Index.
- 9781905670543 (1)
- "Many of these essays began life as papers at the Reception of ancient Greek and Roman Drama Conference held at the Institute of Classical Studies (11-13 June 2008)"--Introduction.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 12136386